Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Shad fishing on the Econlockhatchee River FL.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,205 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

You call the female fish "roe"?  I thought "roe" was the eggs.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

Right on both counts. Not all female fish, just female shad are referred to as Roe, males are bucks. I don't make the shad rules I just fish by them. I've actually never thought about it before but your right, roe are the eggs and in no other species do we (those of us from pa in the heart of the worlds best shad run) refer to female fish as roe. Come to think of it, in no other species do we refer to the males as bucks either. It's better then referring to them as "girl" or "big girl" as I've always hated hearing men refer to fish as girls.

#18 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

The roe is the best part of the shad to eat.  It's the only fresh roe I've seen for sale, in some of the better sea food stores around here during the shad run.  I've only eaten shad once and they were caught in the Delaware above Hancock, late in the run.  The experience lent some truth to the idea that the best way to cook and eat them is to lay them on a cedar plank and cook them slowly.  When they're done throw away the shad and eat the plank.   They may taste better when they're fresh from the ocean.   I'll have to check out the store where I usually get my fresh sea food in a month or so and see if they have them and give shad another try.  Or go to the shad festival in Lambertville, NJ and check out shad as food again.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."