Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Flies do You Have?

How many?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Tony300wby

Tony300wby

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

I am guessing around 1000 but dont know for sure, and there is no way that I would even think about counting. I just found out that I am getting laid off at the end of January, so my number will be increasing. I have collected so much material and hooks over the last 25+ yrs that I will never run out.

Good luck, Tony

#47 Sampler

Sampler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

700-800 wouold be a close guess.

Tight lines... smooth threads

#48 993guy

993guy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

I have 24 boxes of flies and 10 of those boxes are filled with Midges. They don't take up much room so there is approx. 500-700 flies in each box. Some of the larger boxes of midges have 1,000-1,100 in each box. The other boxes have around 200-300 flies in each box.
Total is around 11,000. Of those 11,000 there are about 100 dry flies or floating patterns. All of them are for Trout.

#49 troutdogg

troutdogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

Well, I figure between 1500 and 2000 and growing.....................

Have flies for trout and saltwater with 90% of the flies dedicated to trout!

Shhhhh, don't tell my wife or I'm in the dogg house - Just kidding, she would rather have me sitting at home tying flies instead of being out having a few with the boys and getting in trouble whistling1.gif thumbsup.gif sick.gif nono.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif hysterical.gif
So much to do and so little time in which to do all..........

#50 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

I have no idea of how many flies I have, more than enough though. I voted for over 4500, I do tie quite frequently.

Steady and growing!
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#51 DevinKaradeema

DevinKaradeema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

i have 46 and 1 in the vice. no store bought 12 of them are from a swap many are doubles and triples and quads. a good 15 20 of them have yet to see water.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

#52 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Voted over 1000 but actually I have no idea. I'm not even sure how many fly boxes I have. Probably ought to try and round them up some day. rolleyes.gif

#53 TOM PRUETT

TOM PRUETT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

I have tied all most 100 flys so far yahoo.gif
ASUS RAMPAGE III EXTREME
970 @ 4.GHZ XPSC 360 RS COOLER KIT(EXCALIBUR FANS) PUSHPULL
24 GIG GSKILL SNIPER @2133
SLI 2X ASUS-CU II OC GTX 680 (2GB)
XFI - ASTRO A40 HEADSET
CORSAIR 800D CASE
ANTEC 1200 WATTS

#54 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (TOM PRUETT @ May 29 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have tied all most 100 flys so far yahoo.gif

nice dude! more pics!

i am guessing i now have somewhere around 1,000 flies in total. somewhere around 700 trout flies. the rest are for bass, saltwater, and carp
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#55 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

I just started fly fishing last spring, and started tying at the beginning of this year. I'm ball-parking somewhere just shy of 250 so far. It's a mix between trout flies and bass flies (probably 40 clousers of various sizes and colors, most I've tied).

#56 DevinKaradeema

DevinKaradeema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (DevinKaradeema @ May 1 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have 46 and 1 in the vice. no store bought 12 of them are from a swap many are doubles and triples and quads. a good 15 20 of them have yet to see water.

counted yesterday i have 306 flies much better than 46 rolleyes.gif i didnt count the "river handout" box that means that in about 60 days i will have tied for a year!!!!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

#57 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

I am not about to count them. There are about 400 in my vest and another 400 or so in my pontoon. Then I have about 10 large storage boxes and at least that many smaller boxes. Plus flies scattered about in various other containers. I'd guess 4 to 5K but could be more.

#58 onceahoosier

onceahoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

I'm still married so apparently not too many, but at time it comes close.... Seriously, somewhere between 1000-2000, with a couple hundred given as gifts. Its obviously more about my love of tying, and desire to try new/different things than it is about having enough flies to fish. Imagine its that way with many of you too.

Tom

#59 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

I counted and I have 1,123 not including the one I am tying. Not bad for 5 months of tying
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#60 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

hehe Mr.Vegas, i have been tying around 8 months now, oh us newbs, sheesh i wouldn't dare count how many flies are in this house, although most people on this site seem to have a heap more than me, i just wonder how they choose what to put on sometimes!? Most awesome tyers here, i must bow down and accept my newbness.