Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Does anybody still use....

I've still got some in red for tying san juan worms but have a good stock of them so have'nt tied that pattern in a bit

I bought some rayon floss just recently, embroidery stuff that I untwist. I'm not really sure I know the difference in various degrees of rayon, what I have may be "viscose".

What else is used for floss bodies other than thread? (I know silk floss exists, but I've never seen it)

Haven't used it in years... We used to do the nose ends of tarpon flies with it - then simply dip the ring end of a hook in a bottle of acetone and place a single drop of acetone on the floss to melt it into position. It was a quick and dirty way to finish less expensive flies when I was just getting started tying commercially.

I bought some rayon floss just recently, embroidery stuff that I untwist. I'm not really sure I know the difference in various degrees of rayon, what I have may be "viscose".

What else is used for floss bodies other than thread? (I know silk floss exists, but I've never seen it)

I'm not sure what acetone floss is. Simply melting floss like Cap't. Bob says?

tjm, funny about your last statement. I have floss in several colors in silk. I bought some to do salmon flies rolled on small tubes that makes very smooth bodies. I also have several colors of Pearsall's silk floss but not as impressed by it. Doesn't lay on as smooth as the other silk and either bulky or you have to separate strands. I have 4 strand rayon floss and depending on the body whether you use one to four strands.

danville rayon floss amd dmc rayon floss are two different items

danville rayon floss

flatrayfloss.jpg

dmc rayon embroidery floss

threads3_large.jpg?v=1494272630

silk floss

s-l300.jpg

alec%20jackson%20silk%20floss.jpg

but these werent the subject

anybody else still using "acetate" floss?

I think I have some but I'm really not sure if I've used it. When a recipe calls for floss of a particular color I grab what i have of that color. Do you like the acetate floss? The colors look pretty nice.

i have seen some videos that use acetate floss and it gave a nice result but i'm not sure i want to play around with acetone. i'm loony enough without having to smell more fumes :)

Yup, that stuff melts. Found a real strong tendency just to dip them, but did it for too long. Last attempt I just painted the body with a small model painting paint brush and liked the result better

I will occasionally tie some hard body ant patterns with acetate floss. Wrap the floss and dip in acetone, then tie a body hackle. Generally only make then in black, red or a combination of the two. Quick & easy. smile.png

Yup. Chironomid bodies (dipped in acetone) and for steelhead patterns. Good stuff but you have to want a really bright body. Use raylon and silk as well. Depends on effect.

Isn't that rayon acetate? made from wood and used to line coats?

I did find out that although both viscose rayon and acetate rayon used to be considered one thing they now have to labeled specifically. Sorry about my confusion.