Fly Tying
Flytier11

My First

i was reading on ronn's website when i noticed the lessons page, so i clicked into it and thought i might try some of those. i admire you guys for being able to buy all the things for those really big flies, and for having the paitience to sit for a long time and tie them. well okay here they are...

post-2907-1161722918_thumb.jpg

post-2907-1161722979_thumb.jpg

EDIT: please dont enlarge you wont have good results, i had to do digital zoom......

On the first one, I'd use a lot bigger hackle for the collar. Either tie the hackle collar on first, pull it down and back with a couple turns to hold it down, then tie the wing over it. I like to even out the tips of the hair, hold it up to position and see where to cut the butts to length, nice and clean, then tie in and wrap the head. The other way is to tie in the wing, wrap the hackle colloar over this like you did. Then pull the hackle back and make a couple wraps to taper them to the rear more. You shoul get a little tighter tie in to the eye for that.

On the 2nd, wrap your hackle closer to the eye. Then set then wing over it. You don't need much if any more room than the headsize you desire. Pulling the wing and throat forward will even out the 2nd half of the body to match the 1st half. The wing is about the right length as is, after pulling it forward. You'll be able to set the tips flatter. Tail might use some shortening, with the wing forward more, but it's pretty close.

thanks, this what happened, letme explain.

on 1st, i ran out of bigger hackles, and had to put something there, since i couldent get anymore at the moment and i agree it needs tobe longer.

on the second, i was trying to not take up much room and i guess i did a reall good job, lol.

thanks for youre suggestions.

I'm working on lesson #1 as well! I posted my first 4 attempts at Classic Streamer and Wet Fly Tying. I thought I had everything in my desk, but apparently I am shy of gray fox, so I have been substituting. Good luck, I know I'm enjoying it. :)

I don't have that either.....sigh. You know I have boxes and boxes and a desk full of stuff and I STILL don't have enough stuff now that I am changing direction a bit. Aaahhhh well! Hey keep posting your progress, nice to be working on a similiar pattern.....Kerry :)

i was reading on ronn's website when i noticed the lessons page, so i clicked into it and thought i might try some of those. i admire you guys for being able to buy all the things for those really big flies, and for having the paitience to sit for a long time and tie them. well okay here they are...

post-2907-1161722918_thumb.jpg

post-2907-1161722979_thumb.jpg

EDIT: please dont enlarge you wont have good results, i had to do digital zoom......

Flytier 11

Forget about "those really big flies".

Focus on simple patterns and pratice. There is no short cut, you simply have to tie several flies to get the feeling and get propotions right.

Rusty Rat is not the easiest pattern but it will challenge you with a lot of the different issues in standard tying techniques.

regards

Jens

Simple patters like i would use in my local river? or simple like those i tied sorta?

thanks

Flytier 11

The pattern is not that important. Take one where you have all the material at hand.

For example a Black bear green butt.

Then concentrate on on tying a neat fly where the materals is in balance and fits to the size of the hook.

Get started at the right point of the shank stop at the right distance from the eye to get enough room for the hackle and wing and a neat small head.

Get hold of some of the informative fly tying books or you could look at this forum under "step by step" or "beginners" even better join with somebody who tie flies and learn.

The important thing is that you sit in front of your vise with the aim to tie the best possible fly you can. Not just putting feathers, hair and floss on a hook.

Good luck

Jens

You know I have boxes and boxes and a desk full of stuff and I STILL don't have enough stuff now that I am changing direction a bit. Aaahhhh well!

You NEVER do..... :hyst:

You know I have boxes and boxes and a desk full of stuff and I STILL don't have enough stuff now that I am changing direction a bit. Aaahhhh well!

You NEVER do..... :hyst:

nobody can ever have enough stuff, for people are bent on gathering physical possissons like a pack rat...... mmmmm, rat hair......... AHHH stop! see what i mean?

F11

Nice first steps. I don't know your final goal with tying these. I really encourage you to start with lesson 1 and tie one after the other and pay attention to the big and more importantly, the tiny details. Tie them until your next looks like the last and everything is smooth and even just as it should be. Resist the temptation to just tie a couple then try something else and above all, don't improvise. All this will do is slow your growth and learning the basics. If you are just going to tie fishing flies, this discipline will make your fishing flies better. If your end game is or might be to tie the fully dressed flies, this discipline will allow you to tie great fully dressed flies faster and better.

I know the impulse is to play around with the materials but let me tell you from first hand experience that had I known the right way to do this, I would be well ahead of where I am today. I kept most of my early "experiments" and fancy flies and when I look at them today, I just shake my head and chuckle. They are terrible by any standard and the worst part is that they span several precious years of literally wasted time. I sure thought I was on to something but only looking back tells the real story. I learned in a vacuum really. No books, no lessons, no internet, nothing but a few pictures of some fully dressed flies that stirred my creative side. Finally, I did get a few books and managed to turn out a few ok flies. Only by doing it over and over, will you learn, really learn to tie great flies. I am still trying.