Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kraigmichaelmorris

Tying Knots

Hello,

This is Kraig Morris. I have been wanting to learn to tie knots besides the improved clinch knot (That is the only one I know) and can anyone suggest a good place to learn the different knots? I am wanting to learn about other coldwater species and what are they besides trout. Thank You and look forward to hearing from you.

Kraig Morris

A reference I carry in my reel case is "The Little Red Fishing Knot Book"

flytire's link is all you should need but can be overwhelming. There are a lot of knots!

Maybe focus on some of the ones that are more useful for fishing (this is only a list of knots I commonly use, not exhaustive).

For tying line to lures/flies:

Polomar

Perfection Loop

For joining lines, leaders, etc.:

Double (and Triple) Surgeons Join and Knot

Nail Knot

Albright

Double Uni

Perfection Loop (also can be used to make a loop used in loop to loop connections)

Honestly, for larger diameter line (4x or higher, aka >6lb test) and when using eyelets on #10 hooks or larger I find the polomar knot to be easier/faster to tie, stronger, ends up with a much smaller knot, and is more consistent than the improved clinch. If I'm using line >15lb I always use the polomar.

99.44% of the time a double surgeons knot is all I use for leader construction & fly attachment, with a nail knot (preferred) or perfection loop (if line has loop) for leader to line connection