Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Stripping Baskets

I sometimes find myself fishing off brushy banks and my line is constantly getting tangled on the brush. Do any of you use stripping baskets to avoid this scenario? Do they work well and are they hard to get used to?

When I am wading, which isn't often: I wear a tackle belt and a lanyard.

A basket would get in the way, if I could even figure out how to get it on where I'd want it.

So, no, I don't use a stripping basket.

I do tend to keep my line in hand as much as possible, so I don't get a tangle situation too much. When it happens, I just deal with it.

They are awkward to use but better than continually snagging and damaging line on rocks and brush.

I made one from a plastic kids stool that is convienently shaped so it sits against your waist. Use a wading belt to wear it and plastic cable ties for the spikes in base.

If you use the search function you should find a few threads on baskets.

I sometimes find myself fishing off brushy banks and my line is constantly getting tangled on the brush. Do any of you use stripping baskets to avoid this scenario? Do they work well and are they hard to get used to?

Yes, that is what a stripping basket is for. Of course, you might be able to manage some of the mess with better line management. I find that when the bank has obstacles, the more line I can keep in the water, the better off I am. I generally do not like wearing a stripping basket myself, but know plenty of anglers who use them to great effect in any situation where you do not want to let the line fall due to current or something that will regularly snag the line, whether it be on shore or in a boat. Easy enough to make one for yourself with a dishpan and a belt, or plenty of pre-made solutions (the Orvis one scores pretty well in reviews).

I have never used a basket but can see where they would really be handy.I just wonder if they may get in the way more so than not.

In the boat i use a 5 gallon bucket and just drop the line in the bucket.

I know your pain. There are times they don't mow along the banks of the canals down here, and trying to shoot line off the grass is frustrating.

I use this on my kayak. It's just a three dollar dishpan from one of those big name stores. If you google search, there are plenty of DIY baskets out there. This one is going to be modified so I can use it while freshwater fishing. I may just lay it on the ground next to me.

IMG_2185-1.jpg

While I scoff at them, they do help. Especially when the tide/current has swept forty feet of line under the kayak.

Yep, the only thing more ridulous looking then a stripping basket is when your trying to get line in the air and current is pulling the loose line in the opposite direction your pulling to get it through the guides. If the line is just laying in still water this is not an issue. When river current or the tide is pulling the line it can feel like your hand lining a fish in and royally screw up your timing.

Often thought about trying one. Nothing more infuriating to me than trying to cast to a rise and I'm short because my toe is on the line.

Toes...

I have been known to hold the line with my toe for the last false cast.

When I haul and let the line go with my left, if I sense quick enough that I am stepping on it, I will do one more false cast with a toe lift for final release of the line.

Sad, but true.

Toes...

I have been known to hold the line with my toe for the last false cast.

When I haul and let the line go with my left, if I sense quick enough that I am stepping on it, I will do one more false cast with a toe lift for final release of the line.

Sad, but true.

Bahaha.That's funny.

I am trying to picture that.

Of the various baskets I've tried, this one comes the closest to actually working:

http://www.flyfishbasket.com/print.htm

I made a thick foam insert which is velcroed into the basket's bottom,

and through this are plastic 'fingers' which poke up & separate the line coils.

Because the basket can hang lower (and to the side if desired) than most,

it lets one have a more natural stripping hand movement which is far more comfortable.

A Hard Stripping basket is basically a required piece of equipment when we fish in the NE in the Salt and Back Bays or places where line control is an issue. Once you get accustom to them you will never go without them. A velcro strap or bungie cord and a Rubbermaid tube is all you need. A set of fingers in the bottom is also a must. Once you get one set up it can be used for other things while you are fishing. Spin them around your back when walking, holing your fly rod when unhooking a fish, put a fly patch on the outside to hold some flies, put your pliers and other tools on the belt are a few of the other things you can use them for.

Here is Bob Popovics showing how he uses the Stripping Basket. The key is Stripping the line UP and then letting it fall into the basket, NOT stripping it down into the basket.

http://www.aswf.info/images/stripping_basket_and_retrieves.mov

They are pretty much a necessity for NE saltwater. Lots of guys get the overpriced Orvis model using the $25 coupon that is available from time to time to ease the pain. The Linekurv brand for less $$ seems to be popular as well and of course guys will spend hours and hours and more money trying to build the perfect home made basket. I've seen some kool stickers on some. tight lines!

post-54877-0-82319100-1476483069_thumb.jpg