Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GG34

6wt bass line

I like shooting head style lines for bass fishing I recommend trying either the Rio outbound short or scientific anglers Titan taper.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm looking for something in betweenew 10 and 90. I've got wulff TT on all my saltwater rigs but don't want to spend that much on a bass rig. Eying the Rio mainstream bass line. Only 40. Anybody have any opinions on it?

any decent 7wt WF line, cut 8 or 9 feet off the front and whip a loop. Instant "bass line" with a short heavy front section for your 6 weight. Done.

You'll do fine with the Rio Mainstream Bass. If you think that you will be making short to mid casts with heavy flies you could always up line to a 7.

It will be for river bass fishing so flies won't be huge and no long casts. I have an 8wt for big flies for LMB.

I considered it. I have a sink tip on my 8wt as well. The flint river that I will be fishing is really Shallow. Nothing I can't use a little weight to get down if needed. Really just looking for feedback on the mainstream line. I'm really partial to wulff as I fish mostly saltwater. Just want to save some money this time around.

It should serve you well, if you aren't planning on making long casts or throwing big flies with it just about any weight forward line should work fine.

I like the shooting head lines because less time casting means more time with the fly in the water.

Another thing to consider is maybe getting an intermediate line and adding a sinking leader to get deeper, if needed. It acts like a sinking tip but with much less of a hinge take the versa leader of and it's almost like a floating line.

If you're using mostly small flies then I don't known that you would really need a "bass line" at all.

I was using a journey man line from bp for larger than that no problems on my 9'10 4 wt I over lined it with a size 5 and was easily casting 80 ft with a size 4 articulated streamer. My only complaint against the line is when fishing ponds and it's in the 90s the line gets grabby.

Whatever. Any line will do for you. Cheap, expensive, they all perform alike so far as I can tell. I doubt you're looking for 60-foot casts.