Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

St Croix spin rod just off the bench

Here's is the latest rod off the bench today. This one is a heavy duty St Croix Spin rod for a saltwater fisherman to use down in Florida on trips. St Croix 2pc x-fast blank, Aero seat, custom grips, Microwave guide system all wrapped in Classic Twist red & black main wraps with metallic silver and metallic red spiral over wraps & trim. He requested a lot of "bling" so we we gave him a lot of bling!

PnF2Kd.jpg
hLvIvL.jpg
U67f1c.jpg
xlydSt.jpg
hpkyUC.jpg
MAoT66.jpg
7I6thv.jpg
tcx0vP.jpg
tsQRyA.jpg
X8XZ5u.jpg

Thought you were going to say that was for McFly LOL !

Nice job Steve, love the red and silver, it looks awesome ! The mermaid idea seems silly to me though but I suppose there are those that play into such a concept. .

That's a very pretty rod! I'm not sure what I am "playing into" ... but I like the mermaid.

Love the cork combination.

Yeah I also find the motif kinda cool. Especially on a salt rod. Almost like a sailors tattoo. Bit disappointed it sounds like they were a common thing and not a one off special touch.

Guest rich mc

what with the fancy large line guide never saw one like it before rich mc

what with the fancy large line guide never saw one like t before rich mc

Supposed to offer better line control coming off the reel, more efficient line to guide friction as well, so a bit extra distance.

That's the Microwave guide system. It's a style of guide that came out a few years ago and won many awards at ICAST. It is a crazy looking spin guide set up the first time you see it, but once you use it you'll never want to go back to normal tall frame large loop spin guides again. The first tamer guide takes all the coils of line coming off the spin reel and straightens the coils into a straight line soon as it hits the inner guide in the ring. Long story short it make for a longer casting and much more accurate spin rod.

Here's a pretty good pic showing how it works the line http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/04/25/microwave-guide-system/

Steve

You absolutely nailed it. I love the mermaid and I can't wait to cast this baby. The concept I'm guilty of playing into is having fun while I fish, drink beer and generally have a ball. I'm a Kentucky redneck and proud of it. Thanks Steve again. Btw, the 10ft 2wt you made me has been slaying the fish this spring already. I'm sure this rod will be as fun as that one. I also plan to catch a shark on the 10wt you made me a few years ago. I'll email pics when it happens.

That's a great looking rod right up to the mermaid. The cork is awesome and I really like the red and black thread wraps with the silver highlights. The cork and the wraps are the star of the show. The mermaid, not so much.

Steve

I got the rod today. Love it. The mermaid rocks! I'll be stringing this bad girl up with some braid today.