Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Mayflies

We get some good hex hatches here but nothing that can compare to that !!

Yep that's the same here in Michigan Silvercreek. Hex hatch is so big and dense it shows up on radar. In St Clair Shores along Lake St Clair here they actually use snowplows to get them off the streets because cars slide on them like ice.

Mike, are those things related to Ontario black flies? The teeth look about the same.

I saw that on the news today. They had some close ups of the flies. They looked like Green Drakes to me as opposed to a Hex hatch.

Lesg, I quit going to Northern Ontario in May because of the black flies. Switched to July where only had to deal with the mosquitoes and the deer flies.

They may have been showing a different hatch where you are Philly, because the pics in this thread are for sure Hex. There's no mistaking a hex for any other mayfly. They are the largest mayfly out there and hatch in the highest numbers. When the hatch is on here it actually sounds like an electric motor coming up river because of the millions of wings flapping. Its nuts to experience a dense hex hatch like that.

And Mike that's not a no-see-um...that's the friggin tick that bite me 2 weeks ago! lol

And Mike that's not a no-see-um...that's the friggin tick that bite me 2 weeks ago! lol

From what I understand, they're closely related species.

Yep that's the same here in Michigan Silvercreek. Hex hatch is so big and dense it shows up on radar. In St Clair Shores along Lake St Clair here they actually use snowplows to get them off the streets because cars slide on them like ice.

Can’t be that bad if the cars are still running. We get the famous midge hatches so thick they clog up car engines. Every last one of them, it seems, has been kitted out by Hilti.

Cheers,

C,