Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
charettl

Fly Tying Rooms

Its some collection of vices. I suspect he likes Regal vices!!! Its certainly a set up built for speed.

Cheers,

C.

I like his "Lazy Susan" setup for the vises. He must be a major stockholder with Regal, or his business is really good. He didn't get all those vises at a garage sale.

eh ! seen better...plumbob on here has a room 10x bigger. looks like he only ties certain flies (saltwater) didn't see any thing that looked like he did small flies....just my 02.

sandflyx..

I have to agree. I fail to see the advantage of three vises on a 'lazy susan'. He can only tie on one at a time. My question is, can he rotate to a second vise any faster than he can change hooks in a single vise? The 'rig' seems more like a waste of good space. The video would perhaps been more meaningful if he had actually demonstrated how he uses it. I personally see nothing in what he shows to "write home about".

CC: RE: all of the Regal vises. I agree about being a major stockholder; or he married the owner's daughter!

Just my personal opinion!

Just my 0,02

When you tie a bigger order of flies, it could be handy to do the steps in row. Hacke time..now we tie in hackes...wing time, we tie in wings...laqcuer time..etc.

other than having a bunch of regal vises laying around the room doing nothing, its just a ho hum room to me. nothing that impressive. that lazy susan thing is kinda silly to me as you are still tying one fly at a time even if it is in stages.

however, whatever floats his boat!

I do Clousers and my deer hair bass bugs in a step-wise fashion, and I only need one vise!. The time wasted revolving the 'lazy susan', and then locking it in place before tying is, as I see it, a waste of good tying time! Sorry!!

Flytire said it all for me!

Cheers!

I do not have anywhere near as many vises, but my materials collection is likely a fair bit larger, which makes me wonder if I should be tying for more than just myself, my fiancee, and an occasional swap.

I have to agree with flytyer not really impressive other than the shear $$$ tied up in regal vices. My tying space is roughly 2x the size and for him to say he has more hooks instock than any other custom tyer shows he has not been around alot. I have more in just saltwater hooks ( not even my specialty) than he has room for in the little parts holder. What I don't get is why he ties in that craped little corner when he has a bench set like that. I also don't get the advantage of multipule vices on a lazy susan, other than doing flies were you have to glues and dry parts in each stage i don't get it. but to each thier own he seems happy so good for him.

steve

Wow. This is my first post here ... and probably my last after seeing all of these Internet alpha male comments like "my space is bigger", "nothing impressive", etc. After seeing how serious business fly tying can be here, there's probably nothing I can do to contribute.

Pop Drop and Lock it ... If you judge this entire site by this one thread, then you'll definitely go off with a bad image. But the first line of this thread, "Now this is a tying room," was just asking for comparison. If you go through the other thread about tying stations and set ups, you'll find that the one featured on this thread is sorely lacking.

Most of the comments here are harsh ... but then, the person who posted the video isn't the actual person IN the video, as far as I can tell.

Don't judge too quickly, or you'll be missing some very good people and information from all the "alpha-people" on here.

I agree Pop Drop and Lock it, you need to take the comments in relation to the thread posted. It was posted to suggest that this was a great tying room but it really isn't all that hot. There is tons of great stuff on here and you shouldn't worry about any Alpha members. I have asked tons of daft questions and only ever received good natured responses.

i would think the extra vises are for when applying epoxy or somthing he can let it dry while switching to a new fly, or working on aseveral patterns at a time.

we all have our opinions on how we would like our rooms set up, its like a tattoo as long as your happy thats all that matters.