Fly Tying
epzamora

Always keep your dubbing material close at hand

She's waiting for movement... (though both cats usually prefer to pull my calf's tail out of the box late at night)

I don't let my cats get anywhere near my fly tying materials. I can't keep them off the bench when I am not there, but they can't come up when I am tying. And I never leave materials or tools lying out ... everything gets put away when I am done.

I am to concerned about finding a cat with a hook in it's paw.

My dog will fight for the scraps, especially feathers.

If I don't empty the garbage can he'll go rummaging through it, and I am surprised he hasn't snagged a fly off the bench yet.

On the other hand, the cat could care less and would just assume everyone left the house until it's feeding time.

It's ok Mike, the flies are all barbless :) and put away when I'm done. even when I'm watching them they have no interest in the flies. They like to show off their mastery of the whip finish tool at times, but usually just interested in the calf tail.

4 cats, 2 are interested in feathers, calf tails, and buck tails. One just likes to snooze (like above) on the table when I'm tying. I just picked up some peacock herl off the stairs. One likes to carry bucktail around the house; if I leave one out it isn't unusual to have to hunt for it before I sit down to tie. One cat likes to knock things off tables, so sometimes she'll jump on the tying table and bat some tools onto the floor. Seems to be gratifying.

I do put finished flies, hooks, and razor blades away. A few months ago I caught 2 of them playing soccer and keep away with an articulated bass streamer I'd just finished tying up the day before so since then I've made sure hooks and flies are not accessible.

No cats here either, but my Labrador would just love to get at my basement tying area, I'm sure. She's convinced that she can't go down the stairs, and I've forbidden the rest of the family from teaching her otherwise. Works out best for all of us that way. :)

My cat is well behaved.... never gets up on the table or kitchen counters, or anywhere she shouldn't, sleeps under the Christmas tree (waiting for Santa) but never messes with anything,

BUT

My wife had a bag with a couple of catnip toys she had bought for the cats of a friend, and left them on the dining room table. Guess who found them. Oh well, one mistake in all these years is not too bad.

and she leaves little bunches of dubbing on the family room rug for me to find. all over the rug to be honest.