Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Have I asked this before?

I've just come into a couple of 12in by 12in pieces of moose body hair from a mate....

What sort of ties would you use this for?

The material actually looks a lot like Elk hair.....

My favorite use of Moose body hair is for tails on dry flies such as Wulffs and humpys. It flairs much less than deer or elk.

hmmm. Picture isn't great, but you get the idea. The fibres are about 1.25 inches long.

Thx so far..

post-22241-0-53536300-1451876804_thumb.jpg

Bivisible Moose Recipe

Hook: Standard Dry #12

Thread: Brown 8/0 Uni-thread

Tail: Moose Body Hair

Abdomen: Brown tying thread

Body Hackle: Cree hackle (gap length)

Hackle: white or light ginger

post-20459-0-87392700-1451927879_thumb.jpg

Crab patterns use elk hair, tied in by the eye abd over the point on inverted patterns. Said to add a little crunch to them. I don't know lol but they work. If it's hollow enough I guess you could soon and clip it for heads, bodies, or whatever.

Try it in a dubbing loop then spin, wrap the loop and trim. That's how I make deer hair heads like spun hair outta bucktail for my streamers.

Dave, if you can get hold of Moose Mane it is a great quill wrap hair. I tie a lot of quills and nymphs by using a white hair from mane and black from mane. Start them together, Wrap side by side and makes a great segmented look. I have a lot better luck with that on a Quill Gordon than a Peacock quill. I usually UV them but they're pretty tough as is. If you can't get ya' some of that then the suggestions above should work for your body hair.

Moose body hair is just like deer body hair, and can be substituted anytime you feel like. Like you, I have a largish patch of moose body hair, that I got from a taxidermist. Because of it's dark color, I find it to be of limited use. It would make a pretty good muddler minnow head, and might be OK for a bullet head hopper, or a Letort cricket. You just need to look around to see where dark brown deer body hair will work.