Fly Tying
Hookedintheear

Just a thought

I have noticed the subject of the best places to buy material comes up over and over. Why not make a pinned post listing all of these places? That way the info is right there for everyone especially us newbees.

Not all are lazy.

Some aren't so good at searches ... takes some deductive reasoning, which is NOT a universal skill.

Many, I suspect, don't have much free time. They get online to find something. Spending large amounts of time to search through 100,000 results of a search isn't an option.

One of the suppliers is a sponsor of this board. But I'd shop around, and once you buy something from any website, you're on the mailing list for life. You'll get catalogs, emails, and other helpful stuff.

Me, I've got about three times the stuff I'll ever need for two lifetimes so I pretty well round-file all those catalogs.

When you are looking for a source for materials, how much thought does it take to type "material source" into the search box and search the topics? Copy and past those threads I came up with and make them a sticky and I be they still won't be found.

Just Saying......

I understand the frustration of answering the same questions over and over again, but I would be willing to bet most don't know about the search function and don't scour over the page their first time visiting here looking for one before posting. I highly doubt it is because they are too lazy to do a search, after all, they must have done a google search of some kind to find this board, right? Also, our search function here is rather limited since you can't search for words of 3 letters or less, so no searching for HMH vises, EP fibers, etc. At least the pinned threads would appear right at the top of the forum when they log on to it. Of course they would probably be ignored by many but at least then the complaints of the regulars would be more justified since the thread would be right in front of their face.

Another one that comes up all the time is bugs in materials. I gave up replying to these around two or more years ago because you see the same exact answers just about every time, and most of them are wrong. You would think that at least one tying forum some place on the planet would have, or did have it pinned, but nope.

Regards,

Mark

What do you do when there are bugs in your materials? And where is the best place to buy materials? Also what vise should i buy? Whats the best reel for trout? Do i need a rotary vise? Tenkara yes or no? What rod should i buy? Couldn't help it!:-P

Adam... you read my mind. Pin materials, then another pin for vises, rods, reels, etc etc etc. Where do you stop?

When you are looking for a source for materials, how much thought does it take to type "material source" into the search box and search the topics?

it doesnt take a lot of thought but it also yield the results you think it does

i typed in "source materials" and got back 179 results that had the word "source" or "material" in it. that sure didnt give me a list of shops to buy from

not very useful in my opinion

plus who wants to sift through 179 threads all with multiple posts in them just to find jstockard