Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 7wt 3pc

hi Steve..Nice rod ,do you ever try to talk your customers into one coat of cork seal..just to darken the grip a tad and provide some protection from fish slime..Thanks.

I've used it a few times in the past but most my customers don't like anything coated on the grip. It's not really needed with burl corks which I mostly use, and then with natural cork sealer tends to make the pits/filler in natural cork grips more prominent so I usually don't use it much.

Yes it does cause the filler to stand out a little but it does seal the filler from moisture and the filler lasts longer..i used the cheap preform grips..lol. now i,m strictly EVA..did i say i love EVA..lol.

the PVC shipping vessel was gorilla proof, perfect!

looks great, must weigh almost 1/2 of what my 9 weight does.

looking forward to trying it out next week when my line gets here.

Thanks again Steve!

post-61737-0-92115200-1524079435_thumb.jpg

Yep PVC is the only way I ship. How some of these places can stick a rod in a cardboard tube and leave it in the hands of postal employees is beyond me wacko.png My OCD will not allow me to do that lol

my last rod order was in pvc and the rod was completely snapped in two locations but the pvc looked flawless except for two creases in the tube..now if that was cardboard it would not spring back to a straight tube and they would not be tempted to deliver it..99% are broken on conveyer system and it doesn,t matter what tubing you use..

Steve ships his in "real" PVC pipe. Plumbing grade type PVC pipe. I think the conveyor mechanisms would be damage more than the tube.

If flytire ever send that ape-man thing my way, I'm using the shipping tube Steve sent me to bring it down. I'll be famous for capturing Sasquatch ... although he'd only be a mount over the fireplace by then.

Yep there is no way the conveyor belt would damage sch40 pvc. I worked for UPS for about 6 years back in the 90's and I was the "pick off" (guy that works on the belt sorting packages and breaking up package jams). Anytime a jam was caused from a pvc tube it would have the force of about 100ft of packages jammed up and pushing against it but never damage the pvc tubes.

Only time I have ever had a rod damaged in sch40 pvc was about 10 yrs ago I shipped a rod to a customer that lived out on a country road. The mailman leaned the tube against the roadside mailbox and it fell over and rolled out into the dirt road where someone ran it over (most likely on purpose) which broke the tube/rod. That was the only time though. The grey pvc which is just water pipe breaks easier, but shc40 pvc is just about unbreakable for the most part.

i have never had a problem with fly rods which are shorter 3, 4, or even 2 piece which are less likely to cause a jam but anything around 6' or more, i just keep my fingers crossed..so, sch40 pvc it is..thanks.

I am still peeling all the tape off.

I plan on buying caps, rivet/epoxy a handle and using it possibly for travel.

Steve,

I was thinking of epoxying a coin to the butt, will regular 15 minute epoxy work?

(an old nickel or dime that I might bend into a cup on a press if needed)

(its a 300 ton press....overkill LOL)

Yep 5min, 10min, 15min, pretty much any two part epoxy will work Bill. Just use a large rubberband and loop it around the buut/grip to put a little pressure on the coin once you epoxy it and that helps it to stay in place.