Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Need help with a collection

I have recently signed up as a Boy Scout Merit Badge Councelor for Fly Fishing and Insect Study merit badge. I live in SE Georgia so I do not have a lot of access to mayflies, caddis flies, ect. I am putting together a specimen set to cover as many species as I can for instruction. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to capture various samples from their local streams and send them to me so I can share them with the Scouts who earn the badge? If you can help me with this, let me know and I will PM with my address.

Careful with state agricultural laws regarding transport of insects across state lines. Even though anything you will likely be dealing with will be dead and totally harmless, state laws can be strict depending on where you live.

Most of our standard fish-food insects (caddis, mayfly, stonefly, dobsonfly, etc) are fairly soft bodied and great care must be taken when pinning, setting, and drying them. A lot of times they are better preserved in solution, but it doesn't make for good show.

I was also Insect Studies counselor for my son's troop, and kids always got a bigger kick out of the larger moths and butterflies, beetles, and things like mantids and phasmids. For Fly Fishing, I found it easier to net and show live specimens of stream insects. Obviously you might not be able to get adult stages of everything when you want them.