Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Fall Erie Steelhead Swap

Im interested but will wait till the due date is posted. Don't want join and not be able to meet the date.

We would be pounding the streams into Lake Superior already so if they're to be had in time for serious fall fishing we need to get going on them. I'll join by the way and make the same offer I did on the other steelhead thread. First one speaking up can have my flies if they're really going to able to fish them, which I won't be able to but love to tie them.

Islander, the least you could have done is take off the vest and change shirts to make us think it was two different fish.biggrin.png laugh.png

Islander, the least you could have done is take off the vest and change shirts to make us think it was two different fish.biggrin.png laugh.png

Dang. Sorry.

Here you go, two different fish...

post-52832-0-62613800-1475298464_thumb.jpg

I do believe the fish is a different species, not just the shirt changed. Maybe a redfish, one of the few salties I might recognize.

Eastern Fly, it would serve me well if don't fill out. I dug out all the salmon hooks I had left and I had nine low water hooks in I believe a #6 and seven standard hooks in a size #4. I was going to have to let the guys pick between the purple low water flies and 6mm cone head egg sucking purple leeches (nothing more than wooly buggers). If we are less then 7 I have one of each. More than 7 I'll have to make due with some large curved shank heavy nymph hooks. Here is what I've tied up. Cropped a couple of flies off the sides to fit the thumbnail size needed on here.

This is the low water hooks. All but one (the first one I didn't like) are pink thread body, holo gold tag, holo ribbing, purple dyed Mallard Flank tied soft hackle style.

DSC01611 (2).JPG

These are the heavy hooks with 6mm cone head and salmon bead. Purple marabou, rainbow flash, purple schlassen (sp), medium gold wire, brite synthetic purple dubbing. The more I read on steel head the more popular purple is becoming because it seems to catch fish. Love purple on plastic worms, twisters, spinnerbait skirts and blades, but never used it for trout (except trolling purple in Lake Superior for trout and salmon).

DSC01612 (2).JPG