Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Early season buck, first archery harvest!

After a long sit in the blind Saturday, as I was packing up to leave, I noticed some movement, antlers moving as a buck stepped out into my clearing just 20 yards away. Though the light was fading fast, through the scope he was clear as day, so when he presented a shot, I took it! Either I pulled the shot or the buck flinched, or a combination of the two, but the bolt passed through his neck, up high, and that 2 whitetail special Razortip by Grim Reaper Broadheads cut his jugular. So even though the shot wasnt where I intended, it resulted in an easy 25 yard blood trail, quick recovery, and no wasted meat. This 157 pound 8 point is my first harvest with archery equipment, and my largest buck (second one ever!) to date. Heres to the next one! At that weight, Im excited to pick up my 60-70 pounds of venison from the processors soon!

Anyone else had some success yet this season? Lets see them!

13051248-D4C7-426B-BA81-DC950DDE41F4.jpeg

0C17B61D-01B7-43E1-9F99-833308E4B290.jpeg

Beautiful animal. Nice, clean kill.

Let me know early, since I'll need a couple of days to plan the drive so I can be there for dinner!

Oh fisherboy, come on get yourself a 'proper' bow.

Just messin with you. I think bow hunting is far more natural than with lead. More like the caveman in us. Do you get Turkey where you are? Will you be keeping the deer hair for flies?

I plan to upgrade to a modern compound bow soon. Probably still not a proper bow to most.

Yes we get turkey and I intend to harvest that and a boar with my new crossbow as well!

I kept a patch of belly hair but I have way too many bucktails as it is!

kinda agree with piker a crossbow really isn't much different than a rifle or shotgun have to be a bit closer but basically the same.

kinda agree with piker a crossbow really isn't much different than a rifle or shotgun have to be a bit closer but basically the same.

Except for the higher impact of wind, rain, vegetation, etc. and finding the proper combo of bow/bolt/broadhead. The only similarities are the stock, scope and trigger. You have to be more precise, practice more, and wait for a more optimal shot placement than with any firearm.

Crossbow and shotgun with slugs ... somewhat similar.

Crossbow and rifle ... like comparing a golf ball thrown by hand (50-60 yards, maybe) to one hit with a club (good player can get downrange 300 to 400 yards).

A crossbow can realistically only be compared to a real bow. In which case, just like comparing it to a rifle, there is no comparison and a crossbow can never be considered a bow, a shotgun, or a rifle. With that said, I say use whatever you like. Me, I'd like to take one with an atlatl but I absolutely hate venison unless it's mixed with lots of pork fat and cheese.

Congrats on your second buck and I wish you bigger and better in the future.

Got my first one of the year this afternoon. 80yds with my blackpowder rifle. Not a big rack, but he'll be good eating.

post-54336-0-91518600-1541647643_thumb.jpg

NICE shot, Peartree !!!

I've thrown with an atlatl ... great distance, but I'll never get enough practice to try hunting with one.