Fly Tying
chugbug27

Synthetic peacock dubbing for bodies....

Are there any clear winners re synthetic peacock dubbing for bodies, in regular colors but also other shades / colors? I've never really used it, only Ice Dub for thorax, and I want an assortment that's finer and has more texture than ice dub to light up some synthetic bodied soft hackles for a swap and for my own box, and I don't want to just fall back on antron. I've heard about slf prism, and arizona synthetic. I'm going to be ordering online, so I thought I'd ask the forum for a recommendation first. Here are orvis's pics of the kind of result I'm looking for.... Much thanks

80APW2olive.jpg

80APW2copper_lg.jpg

Sorry can't advise as I lack knowlege but the body material on the flies pictured look great.

You might try Mr Peacock dubbing from Fly Tyers Dungeon. The color chart for it is not working currently on their site. Some of their other synthetics might work also.

Of the dubbings you listed the only one I've used is the slf prism dub. I have a bunch of colors of the FTD Mr. Peacock. I really like the slf but I don't know how it compares to ice dub. It's longish fibers but can be twisted down pretty tight. Easy to work with. The Mr. Peacock is shorter fibers and almost fluffy. I have some trouble getting it to stay on the thread with twist dubbing. It looks pretty good but it doesn't really add any sparkle IMO. Worth a shot at the price but I don't know if you'll get the results you're looking for with it.

Some of the other FTD dubbings, on the other hand, are really cool. Arctic snow is one of my favorites for nymph and bugger bodies.

I've use the UV2 and really like it!Color looks very pea-fowlish. I think they make it in a few other shades and colors as well.The price is right as well

flytvre,

I can't find a US distirbutor. The European shops have a staggering array of colors available but I've never got the knack of buying such stuff abroad.

Rocco

Thanks for setting me right. I missed the shop name entirely.

They have some interesting products on offer.

Rocco

competetive angler is very good at sending out orders in a timely manner. highly recommended

they have a lot of european tying materials

Synthetic peacock dubbings have their place but I do not really consider them substitutes for peacock, more like an alternative. Comes in handy in certain applications, and has the advantage of greater durability, but I've never found say a Prince variant using one of the many peacock dubbings out there, and there are a ton of them with only a few mentioned here, to be more effective than a traditional tie, and in some cases less so. YMMV.

I probably misspoke re peacock... The colorings of these dubbings are really just synthetic blends, after all. Perhaps I just need to blend my own mixture. I was hoping it's a recognizable product that someone here might be familiar with, as I really like the look of the blends on these two fly bodies.... But maybe not.

It would appear that the flies in the photo are from the Orvis site:

http://www.orvis.com/p/bead-head-crystal-soft-hackle/80ap

The fly that was not pictured was this one:

9fw4YkO.jpg

The Rainbow dubbing used here does not match Wapsi Sow Scud Rainbow Dubbing or Hareline Rainbow Dubbing...

It does, however, seem to be like this dubbing:

9FFqOAK.jpg

This is what that Rainbow dubbing is:

http://hareline.com/fus.html

I use AZ Peacock a lot and it does not come in Rainbow...

PT/TB