Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AK Skim

HAPPINESS IS ... TRV

Two weeks behind the HMH TRV

I bought one on Friday and a second on Sunday at the Edison Show...

I have to admit laying out over $1,000 for two new vises was made with some trepidation.

Well, all my fears were put to rest real quickly.

What a beautiful vise...

HMH%20TRV.jpg

Just in case one might think .. No I don't work for or compensated in any way by HMH.

I am like everyone else at this time of year, come home from work, have dinner, watch the hockey game (Devils lost tonight) and tie flies....

Oh ya, and wait for spring...

I don't care what it does ... $500.00 is too much money for a vise.

Don't get me wrong ... I am glad you like it. I wouldn't, because every time I looked at it, I'd be thinking about how much it cost.

Congrats on the fine addition to your tying stations. Well made tools are a treat to use. This HMH model is on my wish list so please give us a full report on the function and workmanship. Killer move to nab a pair. All thumbs up from frozen Wyoming!

Congrats on the fine addition to your tying stations. Well made tools are a treat to use. This HMH model is on my wish list so please give us a full report on the function and workmanship. Killer move to nab a pair. All thumbs up from frozen Wyoming!

Thank you Flat Rock Native.

I will provide a full and completely objective report at some time.

However, first impression was beyond description. As stated there was considerable trepidation in purchasing not only one, but two as you could imagine.

Like many on here I read the initial reports of the vise, so I was very hesitant in mail ordering one. I wanted to drive up to the Marlborough show, but work got in the way, so I had to wait another week.

Once I saw it I believe I posted on here it only took me a few moments of "pawing it" to know...

Like art, I'll know it when I see it ... and I saw it.

I have been out tying in public tying with it and some of the reactions from other tyers is rather enjoyable. In a nice way.. at first they mistake it for a Waldron.

Surprised an American made vise ...

I think it is a work of beauty and function ... well worth the price of admission to me.

I am not one to write what I do not believe in.

Don't get me wrong ... I am glad you like it. I wouldn't, because every time I looked at it, I'd be thinking about how much it cost.

There is nothing wrong with your belief.

The HMH TRV is not for everyone, or their Spartan, or a Regal, or a Dyna-King Professional, or a Renzetti all of which I own. They are not for everyone.

That being said, the HMH TRV is for me.

As far as cost goes, I plan on spending many many hours behind the HMH TRV, if I still like it in 5-10 years from now then the cost would be negligible.

I have Ping irons, and Taylor Made woods... and with every swing whether it is a slice or a hook still makes me feel like Tiger Woods in his younger years.. in other words.. I am happy with what I have at hand.

Ray Bergman or a Matt Grobert I am not, but when I tighten a hook in my TRV, at that moment I am on the same par as those two great tyers.

Mikechell, thank you for your response to my post. I am not here to convince you, or anyone for that matter in regards to the HMH TRV, it is solely my an mine alone opinion.

Guest Tony P

Mike,

Just curious but why is that you feel you need to make a comment on every post when it comes to with the cost of an expensive piece of equipment? Anyone that has read this board for any amount of time knows you're a thrifty person but I think it's totally unnecessary to make comments on what other spend their hard earned money unless it's a positive post. I just don't get it. Ak, congratulations on a fine purchase.

Ak, congratulations on a fine purchase.

Thank you Tony.

I plan and hope to have many hours and years sitting behind the HMH TRV as I did with my Regal on the tying desk.

No disrespect to Regal... I have nothing but praise after 12 years on my tying desk and in my travel bag. FAR FROM IT.

For a few years I wished for a LAW after seeing it on Youtube.

Just something about the way it looked. Nothing else looked like it.

So when I saw last summer HMH was coming out with something that looked like it, and it did look good...

Couldn't wait...

Read the one and only report on it, as it turned out only on this board, I was very hesitant to lay out that kind of money for a new vise.

Once I saw it, and ran my hands over it .. the fears disappeared.

I'm happy that you're happy with your new HMH TRVs!

A quality vise is a wonderful thing to use.

Why did you purchase two?

Price: very recently I looked to replace my every-day winter foul-weather coat/parka/shell. I've been wearing my gore-tex jacket and fleece liner which I got in the CG probably 15(?) years ago every day, every winter, through cold, wind, snow, rain, freezing rain, everything, and it is becoming fairly worn. I've patched 2 rips that were my fault, the zipper pull is broken, etc. I was SHOCKED that the best price I could find on a new one was almost $400. But, that's about $8 per month averaging 3 months of wear a year, probably more than 3 months.

Yeah, $500 is a LOT Of money for a vise, but if it is a heavily used item that will last a LONG time, then it's probably worth it.

Lots of money for consumable or short-lived items? No, I agree with Mike on that, but a vise should last a lifetime. BTW I have a Peak as my main vise, about as old as my jacket, and an HMH Spartan which is significantly better for tying streamers. Both of those will likely outlive me by many decades.

Mike,

Just curious but why is that you feel you need to make a comment on every post when it comes to with the cost of an expensive piece of equipment? Anyone that has read this board for any amount of time knows you're a thrifty person but I think it's totally unnecessary to make comments on what other spend their hard earned money unless it's a positive post. I just don't get it. Ak, congratulations on a fine purchase.

I suppose you make a good point, Tony. I don't intend my comments to be negative. My comments aren't an insult to those who spent their money. I don't care how other's spend their money.

I am, however, truly shocked at what people DO spend their money on.

I am also, often, dismayed by the fact that many items are so over priced, just because people WILL spend their money on them.

Price: very recently I looked to replace my every-day winter foul-weather coat/parka/shell. I've been wearing my gore-tex jacket and fleece liner which I got in the CG probably 15(?) years ago every day, every winter, through cold, wind, snow, rain, freezing rain, everything, and it is becoming fairly worn. I've patched 2 rips that were my fault, the zipper pull is broken, etc. I was SHOCKED that the best price I could find on a new one was almost $400. But, that's about $8 per month averaging 3 months of wear a year, probably more than 3 months.

Semper Paratus Brother

MKC (Ret.)

There is nothing wrong with your belief.

The HMH TRV is not for everyone, or their Spartan, or a Regal, or a Dyna-King Professional, or a Renzetti all of which I own. They are not for everyone.

That being said, the HMH TRV is for me.

As far as cost goes, I plan on spending many many hours behind the HMH TRV, if I still like it in 5-10 years from now then the cost would be negligible.

I have Ping irons, and Taylor Made woods... and with every swing whether it is a slice or a hook still makes me feel like Tiger Woods in his younger years.. in other words.. I am happy with what I have at hand.

Ray Bergman or a Matt Grobert I am not, but when I tighten a hook in my TRV, at that moment I am on the same par as those two great tyers.

Mikechell, thank you for your response to my post. I am not here to convince you, or anyone for that matter in regards to the HMH TRV, it is solely my an mine alone opinion.

I feel the same way about bamboo rods. I understand...........

I'm a vise junkie and it was love at first sight for me. If I didn't already own a Standard and a Spartan and a Renzetti Pro, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Under no allusions that it would make me a better tier, just because I want one and I ain't getting any younger.

I also like bamboo rods, and old Orvis rods...I have two Far & Fine rods.