Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

8ft 5wt fiberglass

XwC2i3.jpg
2C8BiK.jpg
LqiVDe.jpg
CrTzpA.jpg

This is the one I was offering here for a special price. It is now all done and off to other places for sale now.

8ft white glass blank with REC polished reel seat, rhw custom grip with burl corks, classic style four leg stripper, snake guides wrapped in garnet with black trim. Neat little rod, I was actually thinking of sticking this one into my own collection maybe. We'll see :)

It's pretty, but it's fiberglass. I've tried, I just can't "like" a fiberglass fly rod.

Glass defiantly has it's place, but I think where you fish is just not the place for glass though. Where glass is really at home is on a small to medium sized trout stream with no wind laying out small dry flies to trout on a light tippet. Probably don't run into that much down in FL ;) lol

I really like this one. Wish I could figure out a way to explain to my wife why, exactly, I need another one.

I really like fiberglass now. I initially wanted it for small stream fishing but, since I don't really have that many close streams, I use the 4wt Steve built for me for fishing anywhere. It is tough on windy days but I still like the feel of it more than that of graphite.

I really like the looks of this one but it has a few things against it, very pretty though. Mostly an 8'- 5 wt., glass stream rod doesn't add up in my head. But the colors are awesome and that color combo would match some of the streamers I use in larger rivers..

Not sure why that size doesn't add up Dave, 8ft 5wt to 7wt glass was actually the industry standard throughout most of the 50's, 60's & 70's. That is what more than half the fly rods of the time were back then. I think Herters alone sold about fifty billion of them that size lol laugh.png

Not sure why that size doesn't add up Dave, 8ft 5wt to 7wt glass was actually the industry standard throughout most of the 50's, 60's & 70's. That is what more than half the fly rods of the time were back then. I think Herters alone sold about fifty billion of them that size lol laugh.png

For me Steve, is the key in my statement. The streams I fish do much better with something 3-4 wt and 7' or so. I actually still own an old glass South Bend about the size of the rod you presented. I caught my first brookie fly fishing on that rod and will probably never part with it, even though I never fish with it anymore. I would consider that beautiful red and white rod you built a good small to medium river rod. It would be good on the West Branch of the Penobscot River, a nice 7 mile canoe ride where in most spots except for passing through a couple of ponds you can easily reach either shore or land the canoe to fish the various pools.. I use an 8'6" 5 wt in there. you can get some brookies there but there are a lot of hefty small mouth mostly these days.