Fly Tying
afraid not

which hooks?

I just started tying saltwater flies. So far I have only tied the Clouser. I bought some Ganakatsu SC 15 hooks in a few different sizes. I would like to take advantage of the J. Stockard sale on Gamakatsu hooks, but they show so many variations I really don't know what to get. I have no problems or complaints with the SC 15 hook, but are there other hooks I should consider for other flies? I fish mostly from shore, on the Southeastern coast. (NC _Florida and the Florida panhandle). I would welcome some recommendations from you guys with experience. I am using an 8wt rod and line if that makes any difference.

My home waters are around Apalachicola, so my environs are much like yours. The Gamagatsu SC-15 is one of the best hooks for saltwater use. Stick with that and you will have no problems. Others may have different favorites for certain conditions, and don't be afraid to try them. But, if there is a sale going on, take advantage of it now.

That SC15 is a good hook as Ed has said, and I agree with him about taking advantage of a sale. I've got a lot of hooks stock piled that I tie on. I just looked at what Stockard has in Gamakatsu & except for the B10, Glo Bug & salmon fly hooks, all of the models listed could have some use for saltwater flies. However, the SC15-2H is a heavier version of what you're using, so unless you need a heavier hook, you really wouldn't need to have that model.

I noticed Stockard has some Mustad saltwater hooks on clearance too. They're a good hook too, and a bit less costly than the Gamakatsu.

Fact is, hooks are often just personal preference, so buy what you can afford & what you like to use. If you're not sure, then you may need to spend a little more & experiment.

I've used most brands & styles, and do have favorites for specific types of flies, but also like experimenting with various hooks. It's no different than other "materials" IMO.

BTW, if you do any bass fishing in freshwater, that Gammie B10 is an excellent hook for both surface & subsurface flies. I like tying deer hair bugs & Clouser Minnows on it.

Everybody told me a mustad was a good beginner hook because they are cheap to buy. I find it to be a good all the time hook. So good that I have never ever felt a need to buy more expensive hooks because, ummm, ahh, everybody says they are better. As I always say, don't pay for hype.

Good beginner hook! Heard everything now.

The only thing you wont find with mustad hook is a fancy packet and marketing.

Good wise anglers hook more like it.

I'm not saying its a good beginner hook. I'm saying its a great hook at a great price. If you have read tying forums before you had to have seen the reference to mustad 34007's being a good beginner hook, a good hook to practice on only to move up to wizbang hooks when your tying skills rate it.

That SC15 is a good hook as Ed has said, and I agree with him about taking advantage of a sale. I've got a lot of hooks stock piled that I tie on. I just looked at what Stockard has in Gamakatsu & except for the B10, Glo Bug & salmon fly hooks, all of the models listed could have some use for saltwater flies. However, the SC15-2H is a heavier version of what you're using, so unless you need a heavier hook, you really wouldn't need to have that model.

I noticed Stockard has some Mustad saltwater hooks on clearance too. They're a good hook too, and a bit less costly than the Gamakatsu.

Fact is, hooks are often just personal preference, so buy what you can afford & what you like to use. If you're not sure, then you may need to spend a little more & experiment.

I've used most brands & styles, and do have favorites for specific types of flies, but also like experimenting with various hooks. It's no different than other "materials" IMO.

BTW, if you do any bass fishing in freshwater, that Gammie B10 is an excellent hook for both surface & subsurface flies. I like tying deer hair bugs & Clouser Minnows on it.

Spot on post. I would add that I use B10's for saltwater flies, particularly for wiggle minnows. They work great on the flats

What Poopdeck said!

Not sharp enough out the package? Get a hook hone. Don't like full barbs get a pair of pliers.

You don't need a $2 specialized hook to catch a fish...Mustads have been catching fish for what ? a 100 years with no issues.

Turn the TV off & quit buying into all the magazine BS

That is of course if you have more brain cells than $$$.... Some folks have more $$$ than brain cells.....where do you fit in?

Thanks for the snarkiness Mike. I am beginning to realize it is part of "charm" of this site. This is the second time I have been insulted in a total of 13 posts on this site. If this is the norm I am perfectly capable of joining in. I would suggest that maybe you should shut off the TV but I think the damage is already done. Obviously you have no idea of what you are talking about if you think Gamakatsu hooks are $2.00 each.

Not sure where the insult was exactly, but, somewhere in there, there was good advice from Mike and others. That's the real charm of the site.

Personally, I think all you need is Mustad 34007 and 34011 for saltwater. Now, what you want... We know that is a different story.

Gami's are a great hook afraidnot. If I were tying Clousers though I would use the Mustad 34007 for that high velocity fly.

Thanks for the snarkiness Mike. I am beginning to realize it is part of "charm" of this site. This is the second time I have been insulted in a total of 13 posts on this site. If this is the norm I am perfectly capable of joining in. I would suggest that maybe you should shut off the TV but I think the damage is already done. Obviously you have no idea of what you are talking about if you think Gamakatsu hooks are $2.00 each.

Sorry it wasn't directed personally at you

I see how it could be taken that way. Was just a general statement. I hate today's marketing

My apologies

This Summer I have kept my kayak in the garage and I am avoiding the rivers and the lagoon with all the nasty water. Snook on the beaches has been my main target. I use an intermediate line on an 8 Wt. I have not used Clousers in a long time.

I like the Owner Flyliner hooks. That hook is a bit heavy so no need to add any more weight. The Flyliner also has a cutting point so you don't even have to set the hook. It is a strong hook that I can use offshore too.
I like to experiment with all kinds of hooks and also caught a few fish on the Owner Mutu Light hooks. I had another fish take a fly tied on a Gamakatsu SL113H but spit the hook after a jump. The SL113H is a sharp hook so maybe I did not react quickly to set the hook.

Keep tying and trying different hooks - it is part of the sport.

Sorry to bring this up a few days late.

Have any of you tried eagle claw tarpon hooks?

The price is definitely right at $15aud for 50 hooks but they are an unknown for me otherwise