Fly Tying
Smooth Hoperator

And so it begins

I brought home a brand new Peak rotary, a mess of thread, dubbing, hooks, beads, wire, pheasant tails, and wire. So far i've managed to drop several hooks, lose them in the carpet to find one with my little toe. Working on laying nice rows of thread and whip finishing. Hopefully by the end of the week i'll be confident enough to begin working with the dubbing.

Guest rich mc

hooks can be a hazard if your barefoot be careful of scissors falling off the table too. dont ask me how i found that out richmc

Yet another advantage of de-barbing your hooks. :) Even if you don't end up with one in your foot, barbless are way easier to extract from carpeted floors, too.

Yet another advantage of de-barbing your hooks. smile.png Even if you don't end up with one in your foot, barbless are way easier to extract from carpeted floors, too.

I agree, I am totally pro about de-barbing everything. I plain silly not too!

A whole week to wrap thread around a hook. It's only fly tying. Tie a fly already. You can do it.

I'm a perfectionist...... This dubbing has be a but crabby, still learning to mold it properly onto the thread correctly.

I brought home a brand new Peak rotary, a mess of thread, dubbing, hooks, beads, wire, pheasant tails, and wire. So far i've managed to drop several hooks, lose them in the carpet to find one with my little toe. Working on laying nice rows of thread and whip finishing. Hopefully by the end of the week i'll be confident enough to begin working with the dubbing.

I have one of those plastic carpet protectors under my chair. That way I can see the hooks I step on instead of not seeing them in the carpet.

Nice vise too

A whole week to wrap thread around a hook. It's only fly tying. Tie a fly already. You can do it.

I'm a perfectionist...... This dubbing has be a but crabby, still learning to mold it properly onto the thread correctly.

Less is more. I find it easier to spina small amount of dubbing onto the thread and add more if I need it. The opposite is real PITA to me.

I second this. Go ahead and tie a fly. Set up u tube beside your bench, follow along step by step, pause, rewind,repeat.

Just tie a fly.

I did the same thing as you 2 weeks ago. I got bored of a hook and thread,in one day. So I picked a really easy fly pattern and just went for it. Tied it 10 times first 5 looked terrible and I'm getting better slowly.

Here are the mistakes I did and will probably do many more time:

- use something to contain materials and have only 1 hook out.

- Don't crowd the head of the hook.

- if your thread breaks don't take everything a part, you can continue from you last step just catch your thread.

- use very little dubbing

- dubbing wax helped me but some people don't like it.

I used http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-videos to find my first pattern. lots of good information there. One thing I did notice is for each fly there are 100s of way to tie it, so you really can't go wrong no matter what you do. The only judge of a fly is a fish.

Other than that I just have fun with it.

Best of luck