Fly Tying
TIER

Share your most realistic pattern here.

I am getting ready to do a shrimp, but I am still acquiring the materials to make it.

I don't tie for saltwater at all. So the only shrimp I do are the "grass shrimp" we have in fresh water here.

Richmond Flies 2018 006.JPG

I'd bet, to a fish, that straw shrimp would "crunch" just like the real thing. happy.png

Put a little sponge soaked in shrimp puree inside there, and it'd taste right, too. dry.png

Some evil entity typed that "bait" thing in there ... honest !!!

This is about as close to realistic as I'll get.

post-309-0-22969000-1563912233_thumb.jpg

For shrimp patterns look up Bob Popovics "Ultra Shrimp"

My most realistic fly I have tied is a mayfly imitation made with an extended deer hair body, it has segmented body created with criss-crossed black tying thread tied along it's length, and 2 stripped ginger quills coming out of the rear. The person who taught me how to make it told me to use lemon wood duck (flank?) for wings. It's been a long time since I have made one, the three I made I no longer have, I gave them away. I said, "I can always make another one". I guess it's hard for me to show someone a nice fly without also offering it to them, but so far I haven't given anyone two--ha! But it's not a fast project... I am getting ready to order a new (Peak) vise. Maybe after I assemble some flies that I'll actually fish one, I'll make one. : ) Note: I have seen similar flies on YouTube, some created using foam. Eager to join the fun, I've picked up a bunch of foam recently (I wasn't thinking mayflies, I was actually thinking "bees" at the time--ha!). I know if you search on YouTube, you can find flies much like the lifelike mayfly I described, or better.

Cheers,

Bill