Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

large hooks wobble

I have started to tie some bend back patterns. The bend or gape of the hook is held firmly in the vise. When I tie material out near the eye the shank wants to swivel all over the place on some smaller patterns with light wire hooks I have managed to bend the hook shanks.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to help with that, or should I just be more careful.

hold the hook while wrapping at the eye

make sure the hook is snug in the vise jaws. no need to use a hammer to tighten the jaws

It's perfectly normal for the hook shank to move around while wrapping. You have to use good tension to keep everything nice and tight. If the hook were slipping in the jaws, it would be a different matter. It helps to have heavier shanked hooks so they don't move around quite as much. It may help if you move the hook back a little more into the jaws, but not much. You're using a little too much force if the hooks are actually bending when you're doing wraps.

Regards,

Mark

That has only happened to me once I tied on small sized, non tying specific, super light wire, long shank, Aberdeen panfish hooks by Eagle Claw. Not sure I got all that in the right order...

Others hooks I have may wobble a bit, but it is manageable if you use less pressure on the thread.

I tie, a lot, on Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks. They are light wire hooks, and easily move around when tying near the eye. Most materials will spring back after being compressed against body of the fly. As flytire suggested, hold the hook when wrapping farther out along the shank.

By the responses, I'l will have to be more careful with the longer thinner shanked hooks, supporting with the free hand, less force, lots more practice. I'm thinking of trying a saltwater trip to Florida. I've have been watching the you tube tutorials, and tied these two patterns after watching "Professor Mangrove" thats what I like to call him. Its craig from Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers. I tied a bunch in different colours along with some winter clousers he recommended. I used Gamakatsu b10s #1 and VMC 6319 bn #2/0

post-59203-0-22110300-1485738485_thumb.jpg

post-59203-0-34578700-1485738510_thumb.jpg

I tie, a lot, on Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks. They are light wire hooks, and easily move around when tying near the eye. Most materials will spring back after being compressed against body of the fly. As flytire suggested, hold the hook when wrapping farther out along the shank.

Hey Mike, Could you post some pics of your flies. I use the same hook and love to see what you use them for.

These are all tied on size 8 or size 10 E.C. Aberdeen hooks.

To fend off arguments: With the exception of the "Copied Hopper" ... I tied everything with no patterns or foreknowledge of other flies. It was only after I started on this site, that I found out there were other, similar flies. This is why they have names I gave them, even if they look like patterns you might know from elsewhere.

"Copied Hopper"

"Cricket Popper"

"Crunchy Bumblebee"

Playing with dryer sheet wings in the hotel room.

My go to fly, the "Panfish Attractor".

And the Stego (stego-sore-bass) that I tied up here in the hotel.

NICE. Thanks, The books and the patterns drive me crazy. I have adapted to that hook for so many things. And its at Walmart.

Thanks, Old Hat. I tied a few of those ... if they swim like I hope they do, they should make a great pattern.