Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Mop fly

I'm a big fan of the green weenie for both its effectiveness and ease of tie so I've been meaning to give the mop fly a go. Since I'm now rehabbing a torn miniscus off to the dollar general I went to get a wash mitt. For a buck they had a chartreuse green micro fiber mitten. It had 14 rows of 17 noodles so that's like 230 something flies for a buck. I had no real plan so I tied a few with dubbing and some with chenille and I added a little egg yarn dot. They were simple. I'll have to wait to see how effective they are when I can walk with a little less pain.

post-48414-0-20926900-1494204013_thumb.jpg

Those look good, Poopdeck. If you're still tying some up, use rich mc's design ...

worm flies.jpg

The eyes are cylindrical foam. Trimmed from the hook eye back, so they are "hook eye narrow" at the front and as wide as the fluff at the back.

They sink very slow, and given the right conditions of slack line and water, they back up.

Hence, rich mc's name for them ... the "Back up Nymph". (I think that's right ... Rich?)

It's a great pattern based on the number of customers we've had requesting them. TIP: Try some of the other mop colors like black, brown, yellow, etc. We've had good luck with them as well. Take care & ...

I tied a few carp mops a few months back. Haven't tested them yet. I bought a gray mop and died some pieces in a dark blue day and some in orange to end up with these colors.

E1F738F8-EBBE-4C01-8417-591CED4DABDA_zps

I tied a few carp mops a few months back. Haven't tested them yet. I bought a gray mop and died some pieces in a dark blue day and some in orange to end up with these colors.

What kind of dye do you use? Just like t-shirt tie dying stuff work?

What kind of dye do you use? Just like t-shirt tie dying stuff work?

Yep Rit liquid dye.

I saw my first mop fly up close and personal three weeks ago. A green chartreuse giant, looking more suitable for bass than trout. Two weeks ago my saltwater club was doing a tying demonstration at the LL Bean store in Marlton, NJ. I was finishing up some poppers and I asked Joe, who was tying with me, what he was going to tie. He said mop flies. He was tying fluorescent orange ones on jig hooks. Told me he couldn't keep the yellow perch and chain pickerel off it. At the end of the day I took one of them and a dozen mop pieces home with me. When i got home I discovered I had a couple of dust mop brushes in tan and maroon. I tied up a tan one that I colored a dark brown with a permanent marker. Next day I took the orange one and the brown one out to the private stretch of Chester Creek I fish ended up catching an 18 inch stocked rainbow and a nice bluegill on the orange one before I hung it up on the bottom, and finished the day with another rainbow on the dark brown one. Since then I've acquired my own fluorescent orange, green chartreuse and yellow "mops" and two mini mops in gray and cream. General consensus on other boards is that the gray ones are dead on imitations of crane fly larvae. I've found that you can color them with permanent markers if you're only tying a few of the color. I've been tying mine on size 4 and 6 hooks with the standard mop pieces and on size 10 and 12 with the mini-mops. I'll get around to taking some pictures this weekend since it looks to be a wash out.

Guest rich mc

i tie my back up nymph on a curved hook for better backward motion. and as mike said i tie the head to be triangular if you look down on it rich

The possibilities seem endless. I tied some more up with just a black thread head and they look good. I can't wait to get them wet and see how they do. I like the idea for using them as a carp fly.

As a beginner at fly tying I chose the mop fly to learn on. It's helped me learn a lot of the basics plus it just catches fish. Here are a few of the ones I've tied.

IMG_4584_zpsyowplldw.jpg

IMG_4583_zpsqrcajx60.jpg

IMG_4582_zpsfst4dsnw.jpg

Most of the ones I have tied are in chartreuse. Mainly because I read some where if it's not chartreuse it's of no use lol.

I saw the one you posted on your introduction, Roger. Those all look good, too. Be sure to tie up some without the weight, since caterpillars falling off limbs don't sink very fast.

As far as your tying skills go ... It looks like you're off to a great start !!!

I finally broke down and bought some car washing mitts and tied some up last night. I forgot to get pics, but I'll try to remember and add them later to this archive of ideas.

Guest rich mc

walmart also had some bath noodle rugs which had a shiney and solid color combo. still $5 for a 18 x 24 rug bed bath and beyond had some as well rich

I'm a believer. Best day I've had catching giant bluegill. Think I finally broke the 10" but no ruler with me to verify. Just judging by the rod handle comparison. Handle is 11 1/4". Absolute beast. Felt like a decent bass honestly. Lots of other slabs, but this one stole the show

03E96145-E5FC-41CC-9B2F-55BAD78FEF4E_zps

637C56FB-9453-45EB-948F-F0E601B4B87E_zps