Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

My own pattern:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

This pattern is one I developed about 2 years ago.  So far, I have 8 different species (Crappie, Sunfish, Gar, Largemouth Bass, PIckerel, American and Hickory Shad,  and Blueback Herring) on it just in freshwater here in FL.  I also have caught 10 other saltwater species on this same pattern tied on stainless hooks.  

I use 4 to 8XL hooks in sizes from 10 to 2/0 for most of these,  The body is built up from yarn, or nylon cord, and Sulky Holowshimmer finished off the pattern.  Weight can be added to the shank if needed.  I use nail polish to paint on eyes, and then coat the whole thing with either UV or RainDancer Rod 1 part rod finish.  

The pearl and silver have been the most successful, but there lots of other colors to try as well.

For those who are not familiar with Sulk Holoshimmer, it is a fine mylar tinsel much like Flashabou.  It comes on 250 yard spools, and is sold by some big box craft stores.  I get all mine at Joann Fabrics, and always use a coupon for a 40 to 50% discount.  

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:55 AM

I like this.

Rick

#3 Dave