Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Casting for Recovery Fly Boxes

Tie a donation

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

A couple of people have asked about toe tags.  You do not need to put toe tags on you flies.  When I transfer them to the fly boxes from J.Stockard I will put your username inside the lid.

Attached Thumbnails

• CFR 2012-1.jpg

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#32 natedubay

natedubay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Before I make my final sumbission, just wanted to know if you had any idea what water these are going to be fished on. I want to make sure I have the most useful spread possible. Right now I have a dozen that would cover all the freshwater basics, flowing and still, but I feel if they are going for trout only then I need to swap a couple.

Also are they going to be rigging droppers? I'm assuming they will have a guide to help them with this aspect, I have some battleships to float the weighted nymphs, but once again I think I'll swap them down a size or two if they're going for trout only.

Sorry for my indecisiveness. I had the box here and was looking at it wondering if I should have done some more "traditional" trout flies.

#33 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

The patterns and sizes listed in the first post are the flies that CFR requests for donations.  There are retreats in all states so I do not know to which one they will be sent.  These are first time fly fishing women, they will be single fly fishing, no droppers or other combos.  They will have instuctors to help with casting, knots etc.  Don't overthink this, just a dozen of the request flies is all you need to tie.  Thanks for being a part of the project

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#34 natedubay

natedubay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ok, I am overthinking this... I'm going to swap out a couple since they aren't doing droppers and then get them in the mail tomorrow.

#35 mybadhabit

mybadhabit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to thank those of you that are participating. You're a real boost to the ladies in CFR, they are so happy to receive those flies.

Blane

#36 williamhj

williamhj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Got the flies in the mail today.  thanks for organizing this! 

#37 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Flies will go in the mail tomorrow. Kindly PM me when they arrive.

Thanks again for doing this, Bob.

#38 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

J. Stockard Fly Boxes arrived today

Fishing Bob

#39 FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

My contribution went in the mail this morning. 

Mike.

#40 gpd4

gpd4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Mine should be in the mail in the next day or two.  Thanks for doing this...

There is three times as much water on Earth as there is land. Any fool can see, God intended man to fish three times as much as he works.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#41 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Looking forward to seeing the flies.

Fishing Bob

#42 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Three nice sets from John, Nate and Byron cool.png Thanks so much.

Fishing Bob

#43 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for letting me know they arrived.

#44 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Williamhj's flies got here today, great looking flies, Thanks for joining.

Fishing Bob

#45 natedubay

natedubay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'd be interested to see the spread other guys are submitting, if anyone has any pictures please share...

I'm hopelessly insecure about my tying sometimes, especially if it's for other people. I don't mind fishing my own crazy one-offs, but realize other people like more traditional flies. I tried to tone mine down for this though.