Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Anyone on here know about telescopes and solar filters?

I recently came into ownership of a Questar 3.5" off-axis solar filter. I had no idea what it was at first -- it was in with a lot of fly tying stuff that I bought on eBay--but a little research has revealed that it might--MIGHT--be worth a little money. Apparently the key to selling it would be its condition--understandably enough, no one is going to buy a used filter if there's a danger of burning their retinas out (or whatever happens if it lets too much light through).

The thing looks pristine to me, but of course I know bupkus about them.

I have some photos -- if anyone knows about these things and can tell me if the one I have looks okay to sell, I'd appreciate it. smile.png

Thanks,

Bryon

post-36073-0-90262200-1544477749_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-32470800-1544477756_thumb.jpg

I do love looking at stuff through my telescope ... but I've never gotten into it enough to spend serious money. These days, it's almost impossible to beat online photos of the sun and stars. I rarely even get my 'scope out anymore.

If you can find a astronomer's website, you might be able to find some people who'd be interested in your treasure.

I have a Celestron 1250mm. I have a Celestron tripod. I don't have a motor drive. I use it for a telephoto lens. I also have a right angle and a porro prism. I made my own solar filter. Bought the mylar material from a photo supply online.

Look at the filter. Any scrapes or scratches? They do not degrade. They can be damaged physically, but good quality ones are hard to damage.

The photos look like it is great shape.

post-3361-0-72511000-1544493399_thumb.jpg

Last eclipse

I used to work side by side with a young lady that had her own observatory in her back yard.

The local arboretum would ask her to give a presentation every now then. To listen to her talk about the heavens was fascinating.