Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Au Sable vacation 2018

Some pics from the past 2 weeks. Trip had ups & downs with tons...TONS of rain, and the worst part was the lower unit of my motor locking up on me on the 2nd day of the trip. You have no idea how hard it is to row a 1000lb boat against a 2.5mph current 1/2 mile until you have to do it by yourself one night ohmy.png So only had the boat for two days of fishing on this trip. Was bummed about that because I was gonna have Bryon come up to fish with me as well as my buddy Mark but that wasn't in the cards this year. Good thing is I have been fishing the Au Sable for over 40 yrs now so I at least know where to go for spots wading in to get nice fish with the two handed spey rod which makes longer casts from thick bankside wading easier to still get fish on the fly. Just took a lot more hours of work to get them though. Lots more pics to come later still.

First one is the big fish of the trip, a 20" smallie.

BRizaf.jpg
LkoF9M.jpg
537WqU.jpg
fYL0sT.jpg
2bbjH3.jpg
VaAYX2.jpg
b8eh7U.jpg
8UKToT.jpg
g82XGm.jpg
ow2YMx.jpg

Lots more pics to come as I get a chance.

NICE !!!

Sorry to hear about the gear case problem. Are you going to attempt to fix it yourself?

I'm considering doing it myself Mike. I know taking it to a marina would probably run a good $1200-$1500 or more so I'm thinking about just dropping it down and seeing what gear/shafts are screwed up and replacing them myself.

That really sucks about the boat. Nice smallies though !

You reminded me to check my outboards lower unit oil before we leave for Maine next month.

Yep check them often. I actually checked mine very recently and it was full. I'm thinking a seal must have just went though and leaked it out quickly or something. Nothing worse than flying full throttle 50mph and all the sudden having it lock up, felt like someone jammed on the brakes!

Yep check them often. I actually checked mine very recently and it was full. I'm thinking a seal must have just went though and leaked it out quickly or something. Nothing worse than flying full throttle 50mph and all the sudden having it lock up, felt like someone jammed on the brakes!

You just never know with boats, tough environment. We bring a kicker motor with us to Maine though, the lake is too big and rivers too rocky.

Nice smallies, I bet they put a big bend in your two hander. Rain, what rain? It looks awfully sunny in most of those pics.

Beautiful smallies! Such a bummer about your boat -- I hope you're able to get it back up and running without it costing you too dearly. Bummer, too, that we didn't get to fish together as planned, but there's always next year. :)

Steve ... if you see this, when you pull the drain plug on the gear case ... you've got problems!

003 gearcase failure.jpg

That's actually exactly what I had Mike, shavings on the magnetic plug. Haven't had a chance to touch the boat yet, been so busy working 12hrs days in the shop trying to get caught back up on rod orders. Probably have a few weeks of 10-12hrs days till I am able to get back caught up enough to do anything.

Haven't had a chance to upload anymore pics either. Finally got a few more here, there's more to come when I get time.

Steve, maybe you can pick up a unit with a destroyed power head but good lower unit for some sort of reasonable money. Especially if it's off season by the time you can get to it.

Yeah if I do it myself I don't plan to rebuild the case I have. I'd just get a good shape used one offline. Been looking and found a number of complete and tested units for it that range from about $500-$700 range.