Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

high mountain creek dry fly fishing

If you like high mountain creek fishing, and dry fly fishing, this is the video to watch! Incredible action on the fly rod. Every fish was hooked on a dry fly, and it seemed like for a while I couldn't keep them off my line. The best producer of the day was an Elk Hair Caddis, which you can see how to tie that here... https://youtu.be/rF4yLJKqNPo
So one of the brook trout was so dar, it was almost black at parts, and had a deep black mouth. Amazingly beautiful! In fact, almost all of the fish caught were very colorful! The most colorful brookies ive seen to date! Just amazing! Also Jeff had some luck further down stream and got a few rio grand cutthroat! Amazing day for all of us.
So this small 6pc pack rod is amazing! I love it! Its the Redington Classic Trout, and its a 3wt. Its nice to have such a compact rod for hiking back country. It fits great in a small backpack, and has some great action for these small creeks. If your interested in checking this out, here is a link to my review on this rod. https://youtu.be/0cgyGcBfbvM

Good video ... lots of little fish on the hook.

You say things like, "Just look at those colors" ... but you don't hold the fish close enough to the camera for that to happen.

I found out, with my GoPro, that a whole 8" Bluegill fits in the frame when held about 5 inches from the lens. Wide angle lens, you need to get really close for a good picture of the fish.

For those of us who don't have ANY trout in our area, some close-ups would be great! One extra second, hold it close before you let it go, please.

Good video ... lots of little fish on the hook.

You say things like, "Just look at those colors" ... but you don't hold the fish close enough to the camera for that to happen.

I found out, with my GoPro, that a whole 8" Bluegill fits in the frame when held about 5 inches from the lens. Wide angle lens, you need to get really close for a good picture of the fish.

For those of us who don't have ANY trout in our area, some close-ups would be great! One extra second, hold it close before you let it go, please.

Sounds good, I will try and do that. I will say though, its quite close.... But I will try to get closer. It does take up about 1/3 of the screen usually. Not sure my lens will focus that close but ill try next time for sure! Thanks for the invite. :). I think I'm trained to try and get the fish in the water as quick as possible, I hate holding them for prolonged photo shoots. I try to keep it under 10 seconds. But, I think your right, a second or two more and maybe some better shots! :).

So for high mountain streams, there are some larger size fish. I mean nothing compared to a 10lb largemouth bass where you fish, or like 20+" trout on the Animas or San Juan river where I fish often. But again I am using a 3wt rod, and some of these are quite large for this area. Granted, there are a few 15"+ fish in that river system, but some of mine were pushing 10", which is relatively large for this area. Free flowing mountain streams with non stocked fish are usually going to have smaller on average fish. But for the most part, they are spunkier and prettier. Never am I going to catch a 27" brown on a river like this, but thats not the point of the trip. Its a different feel.

Im going to do an overnight camping/hiking trip next week to a small mountain creek even further back. I hear there are some larger fish there, which should be a blast on this tiny little 3wt rod. Also, you can keep a few, and well I will be camping overnight, so I might keep one. 99% of the time I throw back, but something about camping out overnight makes for taking one fish to eat something special. Hope everyone here is ok with a video where I keep and cook one fish while camping out. LOL. I posted a video like that last year on my previous camping trip and a few people lost their cool. Like I got cussed out big time and even had someone send death threats to me because I kept one fish, where it was legal to do so. LOL. Gotta love people like that. Of course they don't watch all my videos, and go off of just one. They think I keep trout all the time which is not the case. Its like once or twice a year, usually when I'm on a camping trip. And occasionally if I hook the thing super deep, and I just can't safely release the fish without knowing its going to die anyway (and it has to be legal to keep at that spot). But of course people watch one video, and think they are an expert on how I conduct myself. HAHAHAHAH. Should be fun to read the comments on that video!

Pristine fishing at it's finest...Nice video.

As for eating a fish.

My advise be true to yourself, don't ruin your trip because of the haters.

I'll bet many of those same people wouldn't turn down a Tuna Sandwich.

Pristine fishing at it's finest...Nice video.

As for eating a fish.

My advise be true to yourself, don't ruin your trip because of the haters.

I'll bet many of those same people wouldn't turn down a Tuna Sandwich.

Oh yeah, they are all hypocritical. HAHA. But again, when you put yourself out there on the internet, you are bound to get a few wierdo's. Especially when you start getting views in the 100,000+ per month. LOL. It doesn't ruin my trips at all, but still annoying! LOL. I probably get 5-25 very hateful messages every day on my channel. Like pretty bad stuff honestly. I made a video a while back about how my dog passed away and about once a month someone will comment on that video like "good your dog died, you didn't deserve to own a good dog" or stuff to that extent. Usually with some choice language associated. HAHA. Luckily most comments aren't viewable by public, so I get to filter through and select which I allow to show. I do have kids watching my channel, so it doesn't allow for cuss words or dirty humor. Try to keep it clean you know? But still I have to read all that, which takes a toll to be honest. After reading 10+ hateful messages every day, it makes you feel a little depressed whether or not you take it to heart or not. If that makes sense? LOL

Either way, I will be eating the fish, just I know there are some people that will flip out. Just figured I would give you all a heads up now, so if you have a problem with seeing someone eat a fish that they caught, you would know not to watch that specific video. LOL. Not apologizing in any way for it, or asking permission. LOL. Just warning people incase they have a problem.