Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Deerhead video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troutbuster

troutbuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

I uploaded a new video on how to tie a deerhead slider.
I hope it can be of any help for someone.

https://youtu.be/03wK73XPnA8

#2 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

Nicely done video.
You tie/spin deer hair at about the level I do:
Im 60 years old been tiying flies since I was eight years old.
Somewhere in my late 20s or early 30s I really got into spinning and stacking deer hair for bass bugs.

In the early to mid 80s I got to tie with what was considered at the time some of the greats. Dave Whitlock, Billy Munn, Tim England and Jimmy Nix.... I never got to meet or tie with Chris Helm.

This was before the Internet and YouTube....Im sure there were hundreds of guys that could tie better than all of them... but you would never know it because they were in a magazine like they all were.

I still have flies from all those guys mentioned...And Im telling you right now you tie and I tie as good or better than all of them....But neither you or I hold a candle to what The Cream can do, Saint Marrys flies(SMF) Crackelback or Pat Cohen not mention a few others.

Post a video of the density those guys get and Ill pay you .

😉

#3 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:05 AM

It's a very helpful video, thanks for posting.
cb27

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,075 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Mike.  I've heard this is the video you need, if you are indeed willing to "pay for it."

https://rusuperfly.c...&products_id=69

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 troutbuster

troutbuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

It's a very helpful video, thanks for posting.

Thanks

Nicely done video.
You tie/spin deer hair at about the level I do:
Im 60 years old been tiying flies since I was eight years old.
Somewhere in my late 20s or early 30s I really got into spinning and stacking deer hair for bass bugs.

In the early to mid 80s I got to tie with what was considered at the time some of the greats. Dave Whitlock, Billy Munn, Tim England and Jimmy Nix.... I never got to meet or tie with Chris Helm.

This was before the Internet and YouTube....Im sure there were hundreds of guys that could tie better than all of them... but you would never know it because they were in a magazine like they all were.

I still have flies from all those guys mentioned...And Im telling you right now you tie and I tie as good or better than all of them....But neither you or I hold a candle to what The Cream can do, Saint Marrys flies(SMF) Crackelback or Pat Cohen not mention a few others.

Post a video of the density those guys get and Ill pay you .

Hey Mike,

Thanks,
I have never been after to get my dahlberg heads as tight as Pat Cohen makes them.
I kind of developed my own style with the deerhair since I didn’t had anyone to learn from, a nice deerhair video pops up on youtube every once in a while.
I think Chris Helm has made some video’s on the “ how to tie deerhair” so does Cohen I believe,

What I think is that they all use good quality belly deerhair, belly will pack tighter than body deer hair. Also a lot of stacking and packing gets involved.
You wil get them as tight as they do when you try.

Good quality deerhair is pretty hard to come by so I ordered a couple of times at Chris Helms shop, he understood very well exactly what I needed.

#6 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:07 AM

A couple of our members are pretty good deer hair guys, thecream being probably the best but a few others are up there as well, cream has a bunch of you tube videos I think they're under Jeffrey creamer.

#7 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Very nicely done Troutbuster -- both the video and the fly! I do a lot of smallmouth fishing, and the deer hair slider is my favorite fly to throw at them. Mine are pretty rudimentary looking compared to the one in your video though :) Very nice deer hair work.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman