Fly Tying
Bazzer69

CAEngineering Vise

Heres some photos of CA engineering vise that I have just received from the UK. Ill post some opinions a little later after Ive tied a few on it. Its not a cheap vise but the quality shows you why. I paid about $700 including exorbitant postage from the UK. But my first impression is WOW!

Barry

More later, anybody want to buy a Renzetti Master?

post-51579-0-46457000-1546462774_thumb.jpeg

post-51579-0-84071800-1546462801_thumb.jpeg

post-51579-0-28424400-1546462839_thumb.jpeg

post-51579-0-22584700-1546462864_thumb.jpeg

Ok, after tying a few flies with it Im loving it. The jaws which, as the rest of the vise, are very similar to a LAW but heres the clincher, they have tungsten inserts at the very tips so these should never wear out. I cant see how they are attached to the rest of the jaws but Im not going to concern myself about it. Ive been tying 12s to 18s. I judge it will hold hooks from large salt water to the smallest dries. There is a flexible joint on the rotating shaft so you can put the hook shank dead center if you like a true rotary vise. The friction of the rotary function is easily adjusted and the arm coming out of the shaft makes rotation easy. The whole head can be tilted if you like tying Davie McPhail style. I ordered mine with a white base which has a tough powder coating. All mine in the past have been black, white makes spotting small hooks etc very easy in one of the machined trays. The base is nice, large and heavy cast iron. You can order it with a very nice brass base, I couldnt afford that but Im not sure the white one is better. The pedestal arm is longer than average which I like, it puts the fly you are tying closer to your eye line, less neck strain. The fit and finish is exquisite with all the brass parts not only polished but most are laser ectched with the CAE logo, a nice touch. It arrived in a nice travel case with the foam carefully cut to match the parts. It also came with a table clamp and a shaft extension.

I would say this is not a copy of a LAW, which is no longer available and a used one will set you back 3-4k, but a substantial improvement. This is one I will certainly keep as long as Im tying.

Mark, I should have know that! The jaws are obviously steel which has been machined and has a matt finish, shot peened?

Barry

Mark, I should have know that! The jaws are obviously steel which has been machined and has a matt finish, shot peened?

Barry

Beautiful Vise Barry! I love the taper of the jaws. Do they have radial grooves like the LAW?

DFoster( my surname is Foster) no radial grooves just the tungsten carbide inserts. The jaws hold a hook so tightly I cant see the need for them. What is very nice is the jaws are very tapered so if you use it with the jaws basically horizontal you can put the hook point inside the jaws thus reducing the accidental damage to the thread from the hook point. I hope Ive explained this well enough. Hopefully the picture will help.

Barry

Sorry the picture is on is side!

post-51579-0-39673500-1546656296_thumb.jpg

Nice! I recently bought a TRV. I read your review last year. The new ones have been modified to correct the first run issues other than the stem is still a little short for my taste. I love that CAE includes an extension. I'm a huge fan of the LAW style vices. They just work for me. I'm attending the Marlborough MA fly fishing expo this month and I would love to see a CAE in person. Hopefully one of the pros may have one.

Happy New Year!

There is just no comparison with the HMH vise. Mine came with both a pedestal and a table clamp along with a screw in extension. Before I gave my opinions of the TRV last year I contacted HMH with the issues I found and their response was Send it back for a refund. Im glad I did, the CAE is not only a work of art but hand built by someone who knows what they are doing. Is it a LAW copy? Well maybe, but its engineered to be better and at a fraction of the price which, incidentally, is little more than the TRV. There is a TRV on eBay and the seller keeps lowering the buy it now price to below the new price and its was unsold as of yesterday.

Ok, Im not going to knock the TRV anyore, HMH makes a fine vise, but I think they didnt get the TRV quite right, the jaws are still badly made, not machined but cast, the stem is too short and the base is too small. But please remember these are just my opinions, although Ive been tying flies for many years Im no expert. However as a professional guide my clients never complained my flies dont work!

Barry

Bazzer, I know you had one of the first TRVs out and the jaws were a mess. Because of your TVR review I held off buying one (Thank you). I'm glad I waited because there are substantial improvements over the first generation of TRVs. I ordered my vise directly from Jon Larrabee (the owner of HMH). Here are a couple of details about the new version you might not be aware of-

1) The new jaws are investment cast tool steel, the same as all HMH vises. Jon told me "casting is what we know". There are people out there still tying on HMH's they bought in the 1970's so I'm pretty sure my vise will out last me.

2) The quality of the machining on the new vise is on par with their standard vise. I have zero complaints about the finish on my vise. The rotary and jaws operate butter smooth. The jaws are polished at least as smooth as my Renzetti and everything on the vise is stainless, brass or tool steel.

3) The new base (called granite) is really heavy, my vise does not move at all.

4) The knob that opens and closes the jaws has been refined, the sharp edges on the original are gone. Also the small knob that used to allow the head to pivot up has been replaced with a hex bolt like on your CAE.

I'm not trying to say a TRV is as good as the CAE, (congratulations BTW) from what I can see from in photos the CAE looks very impressive and well made. I love that the CAE is tall and includes an extension plus a clamp. Like you said the white base is a killer idea for spotting hooks. But HMH does have some advantages as well. I would point out it cost you $700+ to get a CAE vise here in the states. For just under $500 the HMH is hand made in Maine and unless you misuse the vise everything is guaranteed for life. Personally I have grown to love the big brass palm knob on the TRV.

Just a point about the guy on ebay. Judging from the photos I'm pretty sure that's a first generation vise. The jaws seem to be pretty rough and they are much lighter in color than on my vise. The second generation jaws are dark almost black. Also the ebay vise has the smaller base. Currently he's asking $499 +shipping. You can order a brand new TVR from HMH for $495 and last month they were offering free shipping. You said he's dropped his price so I'm not sure where he started out at but why would anyone buy used when they can have new for less money?

Its a shame that they released those early TRVs because I think they're going to haunt the reputation of what has become a really fine vise. I hope you will check out the new version if you have a chance.