Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

New Guy From Florida But Moving

Right now, at this moment I am located in central Florida in the Lakeland area. For the past couple of months we have been in the process of moving to Townsend, Tennessee in the beautiful Smoky Mountains. I thought Florida was a great place to be retired, but the year round trout fishing in and around Townsend is even better. We are leaving on Sept 13th and heading to our new place in Tennessee.

I am a retired English teacher and taught in the Florida school system for 23 years and retired 6 years ago. I love trout fishing and fly tying, of course as well as vintage bamboo and glass rods and vintage fly reels. I also play and teach the 5-string banjo and have played at many clubs and coffee houses over the years in the Tampa Bay area.

Today is Sunday Sept 10 and we are currently battling hurricane Irma. It will all be over on Tuesday and we will be able to leave for Tennessee early Wednesday. Please say some prayers, lift a glass to us and/or send some good juju our way that we might have safe travels.

Joe

Cheers, Gauge.

Still a few hours of cabin fever, but we have it much easier than many.

Thanks Bimini (for the cheers).

Joe

Welcome from another south Floridian. I love the smokies, and the wife would love to live there. But I don't think I could trade the fishing capital of the world for a trout stream. That's just me though. Take care, and stay safe.

Welcome from another south Floridian. I love the smokies, and the wife would love to live there. But I don't think I could trade the fishing capital of the world for a trout stream. That's just me though. Take care, and stay safe.

Hey bug. I know that Florida is the fishing capital of the world, but I don't have a boat for bass fishing and at my age with my arthritis (bad knees, sometimes can barely walk, along with my bad back), I can no longer wade the saltwater flats or even the serf without being in pain. When fishing the Tennessee trout streams I can wade for a little while and then sit down on the bank and rest. For some reason, when in the Smokies, my arthritic pain practically goes away. Also, there are just too many people in Florida for me. I love the solitude and the beauty of the mountains.

Thanks for the well wishes and you stay safe too.

Joe

I grew up fishing for panfish, and bass in the northeast. Moved west and spend a very long time fishing for trout in the Rocky Mts. Fished from Canada, to Cancun. Settled after retirement in Florida to fly fish the intercoastal waterways for whatever they have that I haven't already caught. I have caught almost all the freshwater fish there are, but there are still a lot of saltwater species to land. Its all good.

Welcome xvi, hope to join you in Tennessee someday and escape the northeast. Still young enough to want the change of seasons and wade trout streams. Good luck with the move and enjoy the site, lots of good people and information.

Can always use a good English teacher around here. I always hated English so I didn't really learn it so well but as a got older I wish a learned it better. Feel free to correct my grammar and sentence structure. It may bring back fond memories for you and I'm not to old to learn, yet. I could never live in Florida either. Not enough ice.