Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

442 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

my 2 cents

gage

I use these plastic dental things, they're blue with a loop at one end. They're cheap, about a buck and a half for a couple of dozen. If you lose one you've lost a couple of cents. They're soft, they won't scratch anything.

I use these plastic dental things, they're blue with a loop at one end. They're cheap, about a buck and a half for a couple of dozen. If you lose one you've lost a couple of cents. They're soft, they won't scratch anything.

Thanks for replying! That sure is a great idea!

thanks,

gage

several years ago, we had this same discussion, I think Luvin'bluegills started it (former mod back in the day....Troutbum may remember back when) and the responses were very interesting...Personally, I'm a sipper/sucker....just as a matter of being too lazy to find my threader, albiet less than ideally hygenic when you think of all the things the bobbin has come into contact with, not least of which is a human hand....but, alas, I'm a sucker...

I use both the dental gizmo TB said and the regular bobbin threader .. so I voted other. :wallbash: But with about 60 bobbins of a few varieties that hold lead, wire, tinsel and silks and different types of threads I'm hoping before too much longer I'll have pretty much everything I need ready to go.

Mike

I suck it through the tube. It's the easiest and nothing to loose.

Jeremy

Thanks for the replies everyone! This is giving me some ideas. :shifty:

(example) I need more bobbins and I need those dental thingies. :D

thanks,

gage

I usually try to get that big chunk o gunk off the bottom before I re-thread before sucking on it.... If you think about it though, it's mostly new/clean thread that touches the bobbin for the most part.

I usually try to get that big chunk o gunk off the bottom before I re-thread before sucking on it.... If you think about it though, it's mostly new/clean thread that touches the bobbin for the most part.

As oppossed to old dirty thread? I've never tried to reuse thread. Where does the big chunk of junk come from? I've never experienced that and want to avoid it.

Jeremy

Like the first week of my fly tying career I used the bobbin threader. Then the sunuvabitch got be so mad it is now some where in my cistern. I'm a sucker.

I used to suck, but with the C&F bobbins, there is a piece of foam at the end to keep the thread from falling back out. So it requires a threader. If you pinch I piece of 5X with a flat plier it will work good too. That was a during trip fix, for a forgotten threader.

And I take it Smalliefanatic does not use any 14/0 or smaller :-)

Cheers, Futzer.