Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mobile AL/ Gulf Shores Fly Fishing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trouta_Control

Trouta_Control

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

My husband and I are going to the beach early October (Mobile/Gulf Shores AL area) and I was wondering if anyone knew if any great opportunities to fly fish down there. (Redfish, maybe?). I tried asking Google, but results were sparse- even when looking for fly shops.

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

All of the area between the AL/FL border (Perdido Bay) to Mobile Bay is just the type of water that holds Redfish, Sea Trout and many other fish.  Of course to fish it, you will need some type of boat, or book a guide.  The Little Lagoon along the shore west would also be a good bet.  The beach area just east of Gulf Shores would also be worth a try.  There are quite a few charter outfits and guides if you search for Gulf Shores fishing.  They should be able to provide local information.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#3 wademan

wademan

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

My wife and I lived in Gulf Shores.  West Beach was a good area to fly fish, walk the beach and wade out in the Gulf of Mexico.  The only fly shop was in Fairhope Al. about half hour away.  Orvis was the shop and outfitter.  Great town as well. Hope this helps.

tight lines

wademan

#4 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

Rent a kayak and fish the lagoon opposite the beach. Fish shoreline breaks. Clousers and poppers.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach