Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Reel for winter steelheading

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

I'm thinking you could run a thin heating wire up through the blank.  That way, the whole rod could be warm enough to prevent freezing in the guides.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:37 PM

I'm thinking you could run a thin heating wire up through the blank.  That way, the whole rod could be warm enough to prevent freezing in the guides.

Mike and Steve, you guys should put your heads together on this! You'd be the heros of winter fishermen the world over! :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:29 PM

Yeah but think of the lawsuits when it shorts out and someones downfilled coat burst into flames laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:30 AM

Yeah but think of the lawsuits when it shorts out and someones downfilled coat burst into flames laugh.png

LOL yeah...that could be a problem. 😂

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#20 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Or they bump an overhead power line with a heated, extra long rod ... and they blame our heating wire for the resulting electrocution.

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 whatfly

whatfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Steve and Bruce, that's good to know. I'm looking at this one; it's sold under the Cabela's brand but I believe it's a Lamson reel:

https://www.cabelas....16.uts?slotId=7

Bruce, could you share some of your tips for dealing with ice buildup in the guides? My only solution to that at present is not fishing when the air temp is below 32 Farenheit. smile.png

Getting back to the topic, it really does look like that Cabela's is a re-labelled Lamson, or perhaps just an offshore ripoff?  Hard to tell.

In that price range, I'd also look at the Lamson Liquid which while cast, it has the same drag and comes with two extra spools.  The spey crowd really like them and while I do not have one myself, I do have a couple of other Lamsons that have always served me well, no matter how cold it has gotten.  YMMV.

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

As Dave G. stated in an earlier post ... appropriate lubrication is a must, too.  I don't know about drags freezing up, as I don't use the reel to bring a fish in ... and I NEVER intentionally put my reel in the water, as I've seen people do in pictures.

I also don't live where it gets that cold.  But, I HAVE fished up North these last few years, when I've been up there for work.

What always gets me ... upset ... is how too thick a lube will cause my drag to NOT grab. 

One way clutches, used in silent drags, are just "lopsided" bearings.  In one direction, they don't lock up, in the other they do. 

When I used "reel lube" the bearings stuck in the release position and allowed the spool to freewheel when I pulled line off.  Not as bad as a baitcaster, but the resulting birds nests were a pain in the neck to pull out. 

When I used "Reel OIL" ... it seemed to fix the problem.

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:29 AM

I would check out the lamson liquid like whatfly suggested reel with 3 spools is a great deal I have the 5/6 it's been great.

#24 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

[quote name="whatfly" post="729352" timestamp="1537212903"]

In that price range, I'd also look at the Lamson Liquid which while cast, it has the same drag and comes with two extra spools. 

Yeah the Liquid is probably the best value in my price range. Their looks don't do anything for me, but it's performance that counts with steelhead. I may well end up going that route.

#25 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

Just for the record I contacted Redington about the advisability of  using the Behemoth in deep winter,  Their answer  follows:

As long as the reel isn’t dunked in water and then subject to the freeze, then it will be fine.  I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Far_Bank_Sig_2013.png

Alex Blouin | Far Bank Enterprises | Technical Product Assistant
8500 Northeast Day Road, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

TEL (206) 842-6608  FAX (206) 842-6830
WEB www.sageflyfish.com | www.redington.com | www.rioproducts.com

I guess this could be read as, if you fall in, you'll have to quit for the day.

Rocco

#26 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

Just for the record I contacted Redington about the advisability of  using the Behemoth in deep winter,  Their answer  follows:

As long as the reel isn’t dunked in water and then subject to the freeze, then it will be fine.  I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Far_Bank_Sig_2013.png

Alex Blouin | Far Bank Enterprises | Technical Product Assistant
8500 Northeast Day Road, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

TEL (206) 842-6608  FAX (206) 842-6830
WEB www.sageflyfish.com | www.redington.com | www.rioproducts.com

I guess this could be read as, if you fall in, you'll have to quit for the day.

Rocco

Good to know -- thanks Rocco for doing that research!

#27 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

If you can find a Scientific Angler system 2 in an 8/9 configuration you cant go wrong. Great drag, built like a bank vault, bomb proof

#28 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:13 PM

jaberts1,

Good idea.  I have maybe 5 of the SA System 2 8/9s.  They are 100% reliable as you say. 

And reasonable to boot. I just got one in perfect shape with an 8 wt Rio Versitip head  with a floating, an intermediate,  and 3 sink tips that also are like new. All  for $95.00.

It should be mentioned though that SA sold lots of very different reels under that model name. It can get confusing. There is a large 8/9 that comes in both a solid spool and a perforated spool configuration. And there is an actually smaller size -- by @1/2" -- reel under the same 8/9 label.  The larger ones are my salmon reels for 8 and 9 wt lines and the smaller sizes work well with 6/7 wt lines for steelhead, smallmouth etc.. 

If shopping for one on the inet, it is worthwhile to ask about the diameter of the spool to best meet your specific needs.  

Rocco

PS  for Steeldrifter...   The first two I ever bought were from Geakes!

#29 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

I should have mentioned above that the smaller SA system 2 8/9s also bear the M designation. .  But sellers often fail to mention that distinction and you could get a different reel than you expect.  

Another key difference aside from size is that there is only one brake 'shoe' and a smaller  brake surface on the M than on on the standard full size 8/9. 

Later models also used plastic fittings on non-critical parts.  Some blanch at this degrading but the reels remain tough as nails, used in their intended fashion . A tarpon would eat up an 89M.  

Rocco 

#30 jalberts1

jalberts1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:13 PM

Rocco, You are correct SA nomenclature can get somewhat confusing, unfortunately there is no single source of all the configurations that were produced.  I have accumulated quite a few of the "light models"  they are marked 7/8L. 5/6L etc.  They fit nicely on a rod smaller than the number would indicate.  I use a 7/8L on my main 5 wt rod and it fits, looks, and works perfectly.  I use a regular 8/9 on my steelhead rods, bigger and heavier but will last much longer than I will and they were well used when I purchased them. The English made (and so marked) seem to be somewhat tighter than the offshore system 2's but anyone can make a very good reel if the manufacturer will pay for the trained labor.  I have a System 2 made offshore and it is a nice reel, certainly worth what they charge for them.  From reading many blogs & forums on vintage reels there are two things that seem to cause much confusion. #1) Did Hardy make any System 2 reels and #2) were all System 2 reels made in England (by Leeda/BFR)  from what I can discern the answer is no to both questions.  Hope someone with more ambition and knowledge  than me takes it upon themselves to write the ultimate tome on 3M Scientific Angler reels.  If I am incorrect in anything I have written please correct me, I am interested in these reels but by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself an expert