Fly Tying
strutnstuff

Great find at craft store

My birthday is coming up in a few days. My adult children ask me what I wanted as a gift. I was at hobby lobby craft store just looking around for material I could use for fly riding. In the yarn section I found material that looked exactly like estaz. It comes in various colors, and a skein just like yarn. I bought the skein for $4.44 with tax and a 40% off coupon. The kids got me purple & key lime green. I will go back & get more colors. I should have a life time supply. A lot cheaper than a fly shop

Norm, I know this is going to hurt but the Easter Bunny is not real. Sorry.

Did you happen to notice if they had a color that Estaz calls Root Beer? It's a color I've used a lot of for bodies on articulated flies. The problem with buying like that is that you now have more than most people could use in 3 lifetimes. I bought a skein of the wonder color to match the old 477 yarn for the Killer Bug and now have enough to knit several sweaters even after giving away as much as I could find takers (any more out there?).

It is called yarn bee gilt eyelash. I am pretty sure I saw root beer will check to make sure. I plan on sharing with my fly fishing buddy. I told him this morning at Bible study I had something for him but he would have to wait till I get my presents. Will see him next Thursday morning

I'd like to get the, Kelly, key lime, silver holographic, and dark night colors. There's no way I could use that much of it if 4 of us pooled we'd get over 27 yards of each color for about 10$ after shipping I can buy and mail out no hobby lobby best me though so I will have to order or another person could pick it up and distribute. Anyone interested?

Last week I bought five skeins of the stuff on sale in colors most likely to be fly worthy.

It is not quite as flashy as estaz as there is a lot of non reflective fiber mixed in with the flashy stuff, But the overall effect is still subtly attractive.

Aside from making BIG buggers, the potential uses I can see for it are in making streamer heads as in the Murdich Minnow; in trimmed form as a base in a compound dubbing loops; and as the main material in currently popular, multiple jointed minnow patterns. I also think it may have a place in Intruder patterns for steelhead.

Your plans for it?

Rocco

Not quite Estaz (aka krystal chenille), more like Polar Chenille. "Eyelash" or "Boa" yarn has been around for a time now and comes in both translucent and opaque forms under various brands, but it is often hard, at least for me, to find the right colors.

If you are looking for Estaz, the best source I've found is the source, Danville Chenille Company (http://www.danvillechenille.com/). You have to order by the gross (144 yards) but you can specify exactly the color and size you want and even mix and match colors as your fancy takes you. Fortunately, Danville will sell directly to tiers, you just have to need a lot of chenille to make it worthwhile.