Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fletchfishes

Reclosable Bags for Hackle Storage

I have some capes I purchased at shows that didn't come with the standard hackle poly bag, so I'm looking for some bags that fit a cape better than a gallon ziploc bag.

Does anyone know of a place to buy reclosable (ziploc) bags that have openings on both ends? Ideally bag in a size that would support the storage of a half or full cape? I'm thinking something like 4x15? I managed to find a patent on the design I'm talking about. Interesting to see that the patent actually references fly tying materials:

https://www.google.com/patents/US20060171608

Seems like something that would be available, but I haven't been able to find it.

If these don't exist, does anyone know where I could buy single opening reclosable bags in the 3x14-4x15 range? I can't find anyone selling them outside of wholesales and really don't want to buy a carton of 1,000 bags!

Thanks!

If you find a source, I guess you could cut the bottoms off of two bags and slip one bag inside the other to have zip lock on each end...?

They used to be available, but the company (Troutgeek) that made them went away several years ago. I've been hoping somebody would start making them again.

I requested a quote from an online company that manufactures zipper locking bags that does small orders for custom bags. If I hear back, I'll let you know. Maybe we can get a "group buy" going.

I found packs of 100 in UK amazon and they open one end.

Why the two ends??

Because hackle feathers have a "grain" on the pelt. They slip in and out best if they keep going in tje same direction with the "grain". You would insert the saddle and neck below towards the left. If you were to then pull them back out to the right, some of the feathers could be bent back.

hklsl01b.jpg

If someone is going to make custom bags, I would suggest that they be maybe 1/2" wider than the Whiting backing. There is a tendency to make bags to they barely fit, which makes it difficult to get things in and out. Also the "zip" takes up a little of the width on each side.

Jaydub, couldn't agree more. I'm always cutting down the width of the cardboard to make it easier to get out the bag. A two sided bag would be great for sure - a little thicker mil plastic would be good too. A lot of my Whiting bags, the top has torn off trying to get the thing unzipped.

Yep - two zippers so you don't have to go against the grain of feathers when pulling the cape out.

Agreed on the size. The typical Whiting bag is ~3.25 x 15" for a half cape. I was thinking something like 4 x 15" in 3 mil material (I think Whiting bags are 2 mil) with two zippers instead of one. Does that sound right? Or would it make more sense to get a 4 x 16 which is the size of the typical Whiting half saddle bag? Once I get a quote I'll ask how much for a small order.

Another option is you can get hard plastic "shoe boxes" and lay several necks in them and they seal tightly and they're moth-proof.

The U-line bags mentioned by flytire are nice and thick, with strong "zip-loc" closures. U-line also sell (and often have on sale) bags with no closure which I use as an inner sleeve. The cape goes in the inner sleeve which then goes in the zip-loc bag. Pulling (or pushing) a cape through a zip-loc can certainly mess up your feathers. If you can't find what you are looking for send me a PM. Maybe I could help.

I would certainly go with at least 16", some of the Whiting capes I have, the big webby feathers are curved over to fit in the bag. Make sure the space between the zippers is 16" min.

I find it easy to put them back in the just by cupping the cardboard

So when you get a whiting product with a single closure do you scour the Internet for double closure bags?