Fly Tying
flytire

scissors for fly tying

Thanks!

Anvil USA has an interesting history. Too long for a post, but here's the link:

http://www.anvilusa.com/made_in_america/history.htm

I've had excellent customer service from Anvil. I spoke to one of the owners on the phone about a spring loaded scissor that I bought over 20 years ago. Although, Anvil USA is under new ownership and does not carry that model any more, they offered me free replacement parts. A week later, I received a brand new pair in the mail!

I have no relationship with Anvil, except as a happy customer.

Thats total crap about "FINNISH" company FISKARS making on scissors in 5inch & i'm shore J Tapio is gonna back me up on this? Fiskars makes a small sewing pair less then 10cm & they are my go to scissors & also the same pair but curved blades for cutting finger & toe nails! I'm shore no Finnish person would be cought dead with out them in the flytying mess we call a tying room! I also own Anvil thining scissers & love them! Also Marc Petitjean scissers for small stuff like wolly wings! My winge! :-)

Adam..I would like to see a pic of your scissors. I just went to the Fiskars site and did not see anything shorter than 5". I have always been happy with any Fiskars that I have purchased and would be willing to try another Fiskars products.

ditz2! I don't know how to post pictures, only have a smart phone! But if you PM me your email address? I will happily take a picture of both scissors next to a tape measure & send a email picture! That i can do! Adam

Adam..I would like to see a pic of your scissors. I just went to the Fiskars site and did not see anything shorter than 5". I have always been happy with any Fiskars that I have purchased and would be willing to try another Fiskars products.

I don't know about Fiskar ... but if they are like most manufacturers, not all products are available in all Countries.

Good fly tying scissors do help a lot, but I use several different pairs for my work. I own one pair of Anvil scissors, awesome product, I use them for detail work and when I need fine point scissors in tight places. 80% of my scissor work is done with a pair of titanium craft scissors from WalMart. I use them to cut deer hair off the hide patches, all synthetics, anything I can use them for to prolong the life of my "nice" Anvil scissors. Those WalMart scissors cost me about $11-12 and I get a few years out of a pair. And for the record, I have only had the Anvil tying scissors for about 8-10 months. Before then, I skimped, I guess. I don't think it impacted my final products. Like most things, it's a matter of convenience, in my opinion, not a requirement.

Could be Mike? Just short of 10cm straight scissors labeled on the packet, sewing scissors, same lenght curved blade, labeled on the packet finger & toe cutting scissors! Price is between 10 & 15 euros per pair Finland depending on what shop, not the cheapeast scissors, but fare from the price of high end fly tying scissors & the sharpness & quality is very good from Fiskars!

Fiskars has 4" Detail scissors in both curved and straight. http://www2.fiskars.com/Shop-Products/Scissors/Detail-Scissors-No.-4#.VT_egiHBzRY

I am always smile when I see Hans Weilenmann tie with a Law vise, Fiskars scissors and Radio Shack hackle pliers. I think he has had the Fiskars for over 30 years. Here's a video featuring Hans using all three to tie one of his simple but magnificient flies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzlH6r7e8k

The web site that I found did not have a pic of those scissors. I will see if I can find some of those locally. Thanks for the pic. I would like to try a pair. Never had a good pair of scissors.

Yes,,,,Hans does some great looking flies and I don't fish trout. I always check out his submissions. .

The misses wanted me to meet her after work today to look at floor mats in a furniture/house items store! Total waist of 2hours if you ask me! But i went to the scissor section, Fiskars sewing scissors 13cm & 10cm, curved nail cuting scissors 10cm, round tip straight blade nail cutting scissors 10cm! Also read on one packet, since 1649! Thats a whole lot of years of scissor making experiance!

"The misses wanted me to meet her after work ..."

"Total waist of 2 hours if you ask me!"

So ... how long 'til the divorce?

I ask because this is the attitude that will lead there. Spending time with the Wife doing what she wants should NEVER be considered a waste of time, no matter what the function is. Live your life that way, and you'll stay happily married forever. Also, if you happily spend time WITH her ... she won't mind when you want to go fishing without her.

At least, that's the way it is in my marriage.