Fly Tying
Blackwater Virgil

Newbie to tying salmon flies

I've been tying in one fashion or another for 50+ years, but always pretty simple flies that served the purposes I was after pretty well. Therefore, I've never stretched my talents very far. My son and daughter in law recently bought a house on the river locally, and she asked me if I could tie up some flies for a shadow box for the new home. After giving it some thoujght, I decided to TRY to tie up some salmon flies, since I think they're some of the most beautiful fly patterns, and that this would make them nicer for a shadow box type display.

I've tried a few, and they weren't terrible, but surely need some improvement. Have a book by Poul Jorgensen that I got long ago, and it has a plate with some classic patterns and tying directions. That'll help. My initial efforts were good enough to look fairly good in a shadow box, but no brass ring compared to the "real" thing. Jorgensen's book provided a great tip. To ge the topping to kick up, he just dented the shaft at the right location, and just tied it in. It's the little things like that that can be frustrating.

If anyone can give me some fine pointers that'd likely help me come up with some good ones, I'd really appreciate it. Those of you who tie these type flies sure do inspire me, and make me want to at least TRY to emulate what you do. I marvel at some of the stuff I've seen here.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Virgil,

If you go on the Classic Salmon board as mentioned, http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?s=3fbd967298627c26f73fe05f9f3b949e&showforum=5, you'll be talking to some of the best tyers in the world. Look at what they do, ask questions, show what you've done, and they will tell you what you've done right and wrong. You're not going to find more knowledgeable tyers anywhere else.

Ray

Flytires reply may sound slightly curt but for Salmon classics its very sound advice. Finding someone who can teach you properly is the next problem!

I have found with classics materials is a battle. 3golden pheasant heads and only 2 toppings that suited my 3/0 hooks. You need to source quality materials and be prepared for a lot of surplus material you cant find a use for. One reason the flies cost so much more than a 'Fishing fly'

Keep at it. When it comes together they do look great.

You can get great info on the Classic Salmon Board mentioned above, and like Piker mentioned classes are great, but sometimes hard to find. You can substitute many things for the feathers and materials called for in Classic recipes, but if you want quality materials and subs, and great advice, check with Mac at his site, https://feathersmc.com/. This man knows materials, and he knows many of the great tiers in the world.

Ray

Thanks, guys. After 50+ years of tying pretty simple stuff, that has served my needs very well, I finally can't resist the alure of the most beautiful flies in the world. I'm amazed at some of them. It's pretty much the same as when I saw a real Rembrandt for the first time. I just stand there in awe and amazement.

Appreciate the advice. Classes are very rare here in south Georgia, so that's probably not a very viable option, but I can ask at Bass Pro and try to get there for a session or three. With salmon being so distant from us here, we just don't see many of them here, and their expense is part of the reason for this, of course. But what tier could NOT be impressed by their simple, awesome beauty? I can't. I know anything I tie will probably impress her, but the person I REALLY want to impress is ME, and that's a lot harder. With neuropathy in my hands now, that's going to be a tall order, but what's life without a challenge, right? I'm retired, so at least I'm not on a schedule. I suspect I'll have to improvise on at least some of the materials, but the salmon won't care that much as long as they stay under glass on the wall. I've always been a sucker for big challenges, but I wonder if this time I might have set the bar just a bit too high? Your comments help, though, and maybe with the refs cited and some youtube videos, I can come up with something at least passable. Those pheasant crests ARE right spendy, but I don't know anything that would substitute for them. At least I'll have a bunch of tailing and wing material!

Thanks to you all. This is a challenge I knew I couldn't meet alone, and you've been very helpful. Thanks!

You might want to start with some of the simpler hair wing patterns. This will allow you to work out some of the necessary techniques and proportions for the body, ribbing, tags and tails while not having to deal with the complicated wing assembly and mounting. They are still beautiful flies even if they are not as stunning as a full feather wing.

Steve