Fly Tying
ChromeAddict

SuperFly Materials - Any Good?

At most of my local shops, the brand of materials available is SuperFly, Does anyone here use these materials, and if so, are they of good quality? I know Hareline Dubbin has some good products, but have never really heard of Superfly before. Any input is appreciated.

I've heard of RUSuperfly.com ... which is Pat Cohen's site. Could be that the materials are something from him

If not from him, I have no idea what it is.

It's a Canadian company. http://www.simplysuperfly.com/

They've been around for awhile. I have some packs of various materials from them & see nothing wrong with it.

There's going to be some variance in any natural material, so it's likely you could get some that will not be up to your standards. I've gotten materials from Wapsi, Hareline & other brands occasionally that was not the best IMO. It happens.

Synthetics are likely going to be similar to what you'll get from US brands.

So far, what I've gotten has been fine.

Superfly is ok. as stated above, even that best can be of inferior quality. i have had some concerns about the Streamside stuff though.

superfly is not superfly (cohen). I bought a Superfly foam slit fly box a few years ago, it's a pretty decent C&H clone. I got mine for about $9 at a sports authority here in california. Never had any experience with their tying material.

eric

fresno, ca.

more likely than not, superfly buys wholesale from the big name suppliers like wapsi, hareline etc (or their canadian equivalent) and just rebrand it with their packaging

more likely than not, superfly buys wholesale from the big name suppliers like wapsi, hareline etc (or their canadian equivalent) and just rebrand it with their packaging

SuperFly is a Wholesale Company out of Canada and are just like Hareline and Wapsi. Rumpf, a long time US Wholesale Company, became the US distributor for SuperFly. I have looked through 1,000's of packs of materials at the Rumpf Warehouse and was impressed with the quality of the materials and packaging, but it looked like the amount of material in most bags was a little less then Wapsi and Hareline and the prices were a little bit more. It is not uncommon for the Wholesale companies to purchase from the same suppliers or even from each otters because some have better pricing or are better at particular items.

RUSuperFly is Pat Cohens flytying and materials company who is know for his quality Deer Hair Flies, Fuggly Packer, Ultraswade and other items. www.rusuperfly.com also sell all the materials and hooks he uses to produce his flies.

I can tell you without a doubt that this is not the case. Superfly buys raw materials from all over the world and then dyes and packages their materials in house at their shop in Edmonton, Alberta.

While many places like Superfly, Wapsi and Hareline buy raw materials from some of the same suppliers (not in all cases but in some) each company tends to do something different with it at the next step.

Hundreds of pounds of raw natural materials such as feather and fur go through the dye room at Superfly each week as well as hundreds of yards of synthetics. What Superfly does best is ensure that our the dye lots match from material to material. Your chartreuse rabbit strips will be the same color as your chartreuse saddle hackle and your chartreuse crystal chenille.

Superfly is distributed via Rumpf in the US.

As far as material quality goes I don't think you are going to be disappointed. As a Superfly employee I get dozens of emails a week from consumers that are very happy with our stuff. I very rarely get any complaints. ( 2 this year so far )

My $0.02 are somewhat biased (seeing as Superfly signs my checks!) but they are my honest opinion. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling something I didn't believe in.

Cheers

J

Thanks for the help guys, I was a bit skeptical because of the price (cheaper than Hareline and Wapsi at the shop), but I'll buy with confidence now.

I've bought some Superfly materials at Field & Stream stores. I've been pleased with what I've used. Seems to be on par with most other companys.

@Jokey

Thanks for the heads up and disclosure of your relationship with Superfly. Continuity of color is something I like to see. I'll give the products an extra look when I come across them.