Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ct.custom

My First Woolly Buger

Hows it going everyone!

I just wanted to stop in a share my first woolly bugger with everyone... I am more of a streamer guy but decided to give woollys a try!

post-63888-0-44622300-1545356717_thumb.png

post-63888-0-93825900-1545356791_thumb.png

As I just learned, the wooly bugger was designed to imitate a Dobson fly nymph (hellgrammite) so therefore, it is a nymph. This could be argued much the same as whether a tomato is a vegetable or a fruit.

https://midcurrent.com/flies/fishing-woolly-buggers/

@ct.custom, those will work, good go for first try.

I think of woolies as streamers and they ride in my streamer box. But the the originator did intend them as nymphs and tied small as caddis larvae. To me they are crawdads, most of the time, fished at night.

As flytire says, depends on they are tied and how they are fished, but I've never considered them a vegetable.

Great start. The Woolly Bugger is a great fly to start tying with. It is a universal subsurface attractor pattern that can assumed to be just about anything a fish might eat—crustacean, baitfish, nymph, leech, etc. There is almost an infinite amount of variation possible. Here are my favorites which produce consistently on the rivers of SW Montana.

Pine Squirrel Woolly Bugger—Large profile and lots of movement in the water. Tail is Finn Raccoon or marabou and body is wire ribbed, zonked Pine Squirrel. Simulates big stonefly nymphs, sculpins, leeches.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/foo-dogs-and-buggers/

Firehole Demon—Flashy fly for tea-stained waters of early summer. Finn Raccoon tail, body of Polarflash ribbed with furnace or badger hackle. Great baitfish pattern where fry is present.

Traditional bugger with dubbed body—far more durable than chenille bodied buggers.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/to-dub-or-not-to-dub-woolly-buggers/

Additionally, all my bugger patterns are weighted if necessary with lead free wire instead of cones and beads—designed for sink tips, easier to cast and a great fly rod saving technique. They are always tied with hotspot heads as well.

Woolly%20Bugger%20Variations_zps0bzdjddk

Isnt a wooly bugger a streamer?

If we define a fly as what the fish takes it for, it can be a streamer imitating a baitfish, a swimming nymph (Hexagenia or Damsel nymph), a crustacean ( crawfish), a leech (annelid = worm), etc,

Very nice! WAY better than my first buggers looked. I like your choice of colors, too.

I always teach buggers in my beginning fly tying classes, and I tell the participants that its true name is "The Never Leave Home Without It Fly". :)