Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dick Surette's copper bug

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Okay, I'll be sure to consult with engineers and my manuals on fly building code and construction standards, and call for inspections along the way, the next time I'm erecting something so critical as a nymph.

#17 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

i believe the the sequence of materials in the recipe is wrong

You have to tie on the tail, peacock herl and fine gold wire BEFORE tying the copper wire for the body and thorax.

I think that is obvious to most tyers.

A recipe could list ingredients in any order, yet we would still know how to proceed.

I think you're assuming most of the members here are experienced tiers.  Even if 1 out of 10 isn't ... then more directions are better than less.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis