Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New rod pics

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:33 PM

Took my newly built CTS Quartz 8' 5 wt. to a little stream today and laid it on the brookies. They approved. 🙂
Thanks to Steeldrifter for the custom grip!
I'm really liking this rod so far. It's my first glass rod, and I have to say the money I spent on the CTS blank was worth it to me. This is by far the smoothest-casting, most accurate rod I've ever owned. What really impresses me is its range--today I threw small dries, chunky terrestrials with droppers, and the lead-eyed streamer you can see in one of the pics, and it did all of it with ease and precision.
Nothing like a new toy. 😊

Attached Files

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:53 AM

I have no sense of the feel of the rod over the internet ( I can imagine though since I once owned a glass 5 wt I built) but I like the colors ! Enjoy it !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I said "boo" to Gregor Clegane. He ran and hid !

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,693 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Came out great looking Bryon. CTS blanks are nice, not only do they feel great but they have so many nice colors for their blanks as well.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Looks great! I love the color, in the pic it looks almost identical color to my ~15 year old Sage Launch. 

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,253 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

That does look great. Love the rear of the handle.
Seriously tempted to look at a third rod from Steve but struggling to con myself I need another.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#6 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thanks guys! I do love the color of that blank, which CTS calls "Seaweed" They do have some really nice colors.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#7 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

That's a great looking rod.  Not my "cup o' tea" since I'm not a 'glass fan.  But it looks good.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,693 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

And it's not blue tongue.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#9 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yep!  Green is good, blue is best !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#10 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

That's a great looking rod.  Not my "cup o' tea" since I'm not a 'glass fan.  But it looks good.

Thanks Mike! I've actually never been a glass fan myself. Every glass rod I've ever tried before was like a weak handshake. I only tried this one because it came highly recommended by a friend who knows his rods. This is is different from any other glass rod I've ever cast. I'm really glad I tried it. 

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,693 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

Yep that blank is a lot different than what you are probably thinking in a glass rod Mike. Most older glass rods are E glass. The E actually stands for electrical because it was actually designed as an electrical insulator back in the 1920's-30's. E glass fibers run in a cross hatch direction so you get a durable but quite soft action. The whippy feel of a lot of old glass rods in other words. The new glass blanks like the ones CTS are using are S glass. The difference there is all the fibers run longitudinal the length of the blank. So you get an action that is still softer than most graphite, but no where near the buggy whip feel of traditional glass rods. So basically is' more of a nice smooth cast that still has some good tip recovery to it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

I'll trust you guys on those evaluations.  If I'm ever in close proximity to one, I'll ask to cast it.  Until then, I'm too happy with mine.  

Plus, as Steve pointed out ... mine are blue !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#13 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

CTS has their Quatz Crystal glass blanks in blue. More of a turn off might be the price,  not to mention it's kind of a powder puff blue lol !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#14 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

The color I really wanted was a bright spring green called "Shoot", but the blank I wanted was on sale in the "Seaweed" color (I'm guessing the color was discontinued or something.) I'm very happy with how it turned out, though. :)

#15 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

The color I really wanted was a bright spring green called "Shoot", but the blank I wanted was on sale in the "Seaweed" color (I'm guessing the color was discontinued or something.) I'm very happy with how it turned out, though. :)

This is why I'm getting a yellow tent instead of a green one, something like a 150$ price difference makes yellow look a whole lot nicer.