Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Mental health day

y3LQOw.jpg
nLz2hw.jpg

Had a mental health day today. With Tracy having an MRI and things today I figured I wouldn't be able to see her much today so decided to spend a few hours on the river to try to get my head cleared from all this stuff that's been going on. No steelhead to hand, just a big 5lb redhorse sucker, but I really didn't care what I caught today. It was just nice to stand in a river and get my mind off things for awhile.

Completely understand. I have had days on a local stream when nothing but "fallfish" (euphemistic name for chubs) were obliging but it was still a great day out. Hey, they put up a fight and if you're releasing everything anyway it doesn't much matter. ;-)

Best fight I ever had was a 3 ft carp on 2 lb test and a 1/16 oz Mr. Twister in the Chenango River. I got the jig out of it's mouth after an epic 20 minute battle.

t "fallfish" (euphemistic name for chubs)

Not euphemistic at all; it's the name for specific species of chub.

I kind of enjoy catching them. The larger ones put up a decent fight. I sometimes deliberately target them.

If only they didn't crap into my hand every time I go to hook one ....

I'd be happy with steeldrifter's sucker any day.

t "fallfish" (euphemistic name for chubs)

Not euphemistic at all; it's the name for specific species of chub.

I kind of enjoy catching them. The larger ones put up a decent fight. I sometimes deliberately target them.

If only they didn't crap into my hand every time I go to hook one ....

I'd be happy with steeldrifter's sucker any day.

+1, The larger Fall fish here will have you convinced you've hooked a trout. I'm glad to have them around as they keep things interesting when the trout don't want to play. I've noticed they seem to fight hardest when the water is cold.

post-63811-0-99122100-1557934072_thumb.jpg