Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Armor All that line!!!!

As you know, a clean fly line has a tremendous advantage over a nasty one hands down. Clean lines cast further, smoother, and with less effort. And armor All is the best stuff in the world to clean a fly line.

With advances in modern polymers and coatings, fly lines have become nearly indestructible in the last 15 years. I actually still fish with a line I bought when I was in high school. A well cared for line with last a lifetime, literally. Armor All that sucker when you clean , and you will be amazed at the new life it gives an old line, and how slick and effortless your casts become. Armor All is designed to protect and clean polymers that are identical to the components of most fly lines, especially floating lines. It is also great for cleaning cork handles, composite and cane rods, and protects your line and rod from harsh UV rays that damage your line's coating. Armor All also has a no phosphate formula so you eco nerds don't have to worry about polluting your haunts.

Clean your gear often. Especially before you store your gear for any length of time. And use a little Armor All...it's good stuff.

Big Daddy loves ya.....play nice.

Took your advice but didn't have any laying around the house so I went to a local car wash and picked up some out of a machine for a buck. Came with a piece of foam soaked with Armor All and worked great.

was there ever any doubt, young Sir William....Big Daddy's purse is deep, my lad!!

Hey big daddy good tip,as long as the subject of line care is being brought up i'd like to add something to it. I'm sure we all know that you should take your line off the reel and coil it in larger coils to store it for the winter or a long period of time,BUT even though i have known to do this for many years now it seems like every year i ethier forget or procrastenate about doing it.

Then on that first trip of the year it's like tryin to cast a recoil hose for a air line bugeyes.gif

Just a little reminder!

SD

Let me ask a dumb question. I hav never removed my line from the spool for the winter. I plan on doing it this year though. I have a dumb question, do you also remove the backing and store that with the line, or do you just cut off the backing and replace it before spring?

John headbang.gif

John all you really need to remove is the fly line,the backing is a dacron so you really dont have to worry about any kinda memory in it. And as far as replacing the backing i dont replace it unless its really old,it should last quite awhile!

SD drunk.gif

ok thanks

When you remove the line do you coil it up like you would an extension cord?

JOhn

Get an oatmeal can and wrap it around that, make a little slit to put the end in.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

SD,

I have 50 yards of backing on an 8 wt rod that was my grandfather's. I have never removed it and have had several big fish get well into it. Not really sure what this stuff is made of, but it has lasted three generations.....amazing, huh?

BDH yeah i think the only time i have ever changed my backing was once on my salmon reel and the only reason i did that was because here in michigan we do somthing called chuck'n'duck(using a small dia. running line and let the split shot pull the line out)so we use TONS of backing on the big salmon reel. So after getting wet and kinda deformed lookin blink.gif i changed the first 50 yrds but i think thats the only time i have done it. And in all honesty it prob. didnt even really need to be changed.

SD

Sign in to follow this