Fly Tying
robow7

Split rings on a large articulated fly

I'm thinking about trying to attach a small split ring on the first hook of a large articulated fly to see if I can increase the swinging action much like what is on a Rapala. Currently I always tie a loop knot but not sure if I couldn't get even more oscillation from a split ring that wouldn't collapse like the loop knot might be doing. The hooks generally used are a size #4 Daiichi 2546 saltwater hook. If my tippet is 10 lb fluorocarbon mono, what would you select as the breaking strength (lbs.) of the split ring? and what brand and size would you recommend for this size hook? I want the lightest that I can use that will achieve the desired effect and be durable enough for smallies. As always, thank you for your input.

post-1861-0-85920200-1535326622_thumb.jpg

I use split rings to attach the hooks on my crease flies which I make on articulated shanks. I'm assuming you're using an articulated shank for the front part of your flies. I've never seen split rings rated by weight. I would think a size 2 or 3 would work for smallies. I've had hooks bent but I've never had a split ring break.

Rosco stainless split rings, made in USA and are well built. You could buy several sizes to try as they are not that expensive.

Size Approx # Wire Sz OD ID

2H 30 lbs. 0.032" 0.247" 0.184"

3 25 lbs. 0.032" 0.271" 0.210"

3H 65 lbs. 0.039" 0.290" 0.205"

4H 80 lbs. 0.043" 0.325" 0.219"

5.5H 100 lbs. 0.047" 0.388" 0.274"

6XH 125 lbs. 0.055" 0.410" 0.295"

8 120 lbs. 0.055" 0.520" 0.397"

NJTackle have these and many other lure part.

https://www.njtackle.com/terminal-tackle/rosco-stainless-steel-split-rings/n

Personally I think the plastic lip of the Rapala has a lot more to do with the action than they split rings at the joint. You failed to mentioned what you are currently using to join the tail, but you might want to also look at something like Fly Lipps, or those disks you add to the line to increase the action on your fly.

I take the split ring off my Rapala lures ... so I agree with whatfly. They work just fine without the ring.

Where would you put the split ring? On the hook, hoping it wouldn't slip down and off the point?

You could put the second hook on a wire, then twist a loop into the wire and tie that to the front hook. The wore won't collapse and might give you the action you seek.

There are some excellent articulated fly videos, on this site and on YouTube. Most of them show good methods for joing the two hooks together.

I know it's difficult to see from the flies above but they are articulated with two hooks joined by wire and bead. Yes, the rear hook oscillates side to side pretty well now but was just wondering "what if". Btw, I picked up some inexpensive size 2 split rings to try out in the next day or two so we'll see if they add anything to the fly. They're a little larger than I would like but worth seeing if this even has any merit going forward.

Mikechell, the split ring will go on the eye of the first hook for which a standard knot will then be tied to the ring rather than a loop knot to the eye of the first hook.

I'll post back after I experiment with it.

Ah ... not using the ring to join hooks, but to tie to the leader/tippet. I understand.

Some people are using Fast Snaps, with mixed reviews.