Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Crystal Meth

OK I need some feedback from the Erie Steelheaders because I wanna make sure I'm tying these thing right before I whip out a bunch of them. Thanks to Steelie Junkie and his steelheading101.com website for giving me the step by step instructions. I think it looks alright but I just want to make sure!!!

user posted image

That looks great Smallie that would work on any steelhead water.

Are you going to try other colors too?

thumbsup.gif

OSD.

Oh yea I'm stocked up on every color of pearl diamond braid that you can think of. From what I hear Chartreuse, Pearl, Red and Pink are all good colors.

Smallie,

That's a nice looking crystal meth. Other colors I use are orange, pearl, shrimp, and chartruese. I'm heading down to the Chagrin this morning. The warm temps and rain blew the ice into Lake Erie. All of the steelie tribs are open and it will be a couple of weeks before any major run comes in.

yeah the local shop might not have that pattern Will, then Bid daddy would be up the creek without any meth to buy.

hubbard.gif hubbard.gif hubbard.gif

John

Ouch, play with the big dogs and you get bit. I know you dont think I bought those. That just hurts rolleyes.gif

John

A serious note about the crystal meth fly. I have never seen this diamnond braid stuff before. When you are tying it, and looping it, does the braid come apart? It would just seem like you would need more than 4 loops, unless the stuff spreads out a bit.

john

Diamond braid almost seems like loosely woven flash material. It does spread out a little and I used 5 loops on this fly and it is a size 12 hook. It's probably the easiest and quickest fly that I have ever tied but I know it is extremely popular on the Lake Erie tribs in Ohio and PA.