Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dronlee

Mylar Minnow

With the right size and colors, I'll bet you can make some deadly Emerald Shiner imitations! Awesome fly! ;)

I do like your Gambusia You even tied it as a female with the black spot and fat belly, nice! Actually for the black spot is that just a marker?

I do like your Gambusia You even tied it as a female with the black spot and fat belly, nice! Actually for the black spot is that just a marker?

Yes... I have the belly color before I insert in the Mylar... The epoxy will bring the color out...

More detail is in the SBS... check out my blog..

Thks...

With the right size and colors, I'll bet you can make some deadly Emerald Shiner imitations! Awesome fly! ;)

Thank you.... Ok..!! I found the picture of Emerald shiner... this is exactly the same bait fish found in our water... we call them 'Seluang' in Malaysia

Thanks for the hint... will try tying some..

Another fly tier friend show me the idea of tying an articulate version...

I think the Articulate Mylar Minnow is an awesome idea... Now we put in action to the minnow.

ArticulateMylarMinnow.jpg

dronlee, they all look great! However, and I'm not knocking them, I've never had much success using this type of fly. I'm sure it's because of the way I usually like to fish, which is often quite slow. I much prefer to add some materials that have some movement.

If I add a tail, like with some type of soft hair, or marabou, they've worked great, but with just the mylar type bodies, I just don't seem to have much success. Although I made some several years ago that had rattles in them, were covered with epoxy and the tails were strands of Polarflash, which worked fine on both Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass. But again, there was the added movement of the Polarflash.

I've often used hard jerk baits with other tackle, and have caught plenty of fish, but with this type of fly, my successes have been very few.

Any tips on how you use these with the greatest success?

Hi tidewaterfly,

I was tying a little Guppy / mosquito fish friend request, but realize that this technique can easily imitate many different species of bait fish..

I pass a few of this pattern to a friend recently... he went to fish at a local pond with sinking line... figure 8 and landed many Pacu with this pattern... I guess maybe the pond owner release a lot of bait fish which look similar to this pattern...I guess it's matching the hatch...

He said..retrieved it slow, that's the key to a bite.. not sure how is the fishing condition at your water..

I personnel prefer the Anchovies imitation.. about 1.25" and very close to the little Anchovies at our coastal.. I planning to try them out after the monsoon...plan to cast to the feeding frenzy when I spot one...

I have tried casting a plastic bait to the boiling water, they took it when the bait is on the drop. I guess I will try em with fast sinking line next year.

A friend of mine also tied a similar Mylar Minnow with foam insert... so the fly is a top water action pattern..move like pencil popper.. he have great success at our coastal.. and also hooked up some snakehead.

Is the mylar tubing something you buy at a fly shop or can it be found elsewhere and salvaged from some other product like cable or wire.? Very nice flies!!!

It just struck me that, if you add flylipps -- Rapala! Even a jointed one! With a rattle!

Rocco

Is the mylar tubing something you buy at a fly shop or can it be found elsewhere and salvaged from some other product like cable or wire.? Very nice flies!!!

Barlowstackle.com has most sizes and colors in the catalog, and also flex body is another great type of mylar, most of the bigger fly sites online sell mylar cord or you can google it and find sources also.

Blane