Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Getting back into an old hobby

63 replies to this topic

#31 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Figured you'd like that handle Mike, if you get back into stabilizing maybe we could work out a trade at some point I time.

#32 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

biggrin.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#33 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

I'm sure there are different versions but our version consisted of a small stick, the mumbly peg, maybe 3" long that was pushed into the ground. Two opponents would square off against each other with their feet shoulder width apart. One would then throw a knife between the feet of his opponent. If it stuck in the ground the opponent would have to move one of his feet to where the knife stuck. Then it's opponent #2's turn to throw the knife and so on and so on until one side chickened out or had a knife sticking out of his foot. Hitting the foot with the knife or chickening out would be a loss. The loser would have to pull the mumbly peg out of the ground with his teeth. There were other versions I recall such as piss peg where the peg was pee'd on first. This prevented that one guy who thought it was worth pulling the peg out if he got to stick a knife in your foot.

That's the way we did it but never did a piss peg version thankfully. We used to do this right on school lot at recess. Everyone had a knife in their pocket. What kind of Cub Scout were you if you didn't? We used to play "Red Rover, Red Rover, Come Over" or a version called Pom Pom Pullaway. This was one guy started in middle with a line of guys along one side of field. When he called out everyone tried to get to other side. This was pure tackle game, no flags in the pockets. After the guy had a few tackles then they'd gang up on the guys (like me) who were big and fast and hard to get down but once we were we were often good for two guys ourselves on the next crossing. Many times people came in from recess skinned up or black eye or blood on the top of their shoe from the bad knife throw but teachers just went back to doing what they did best back then. TEACH 

If you don't think that's a lost art just watch the spelling on the signs people carry at protests and what happens when you include some change on your fast food bill to get it to an even number. Total look of stupidity crosses their faces as they ask what the extra money is for. Maybe they're hoping they got a tip. What really scares me is that with the disappearance of "real" money cashiers are being replaced by auto scanners where you ring up and bag your own items, then just flash your card. When you look at what AI is doing these days GEDs are being replaced by AI and people like my kids are in trouble. 

'' SUPORT YOUR LOCALL SKOOLS" 

#34 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Um ... "IA"?  What is IA?

Barbed hooks rule!

#35 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

That's intelligently artificial. Try to remember Mike, when our teachers were teaching back then the only artificial intelligence  was our abacus. Now, after making fun of the spelling of protest signs I did that dyslexic trick on AI just to check you out. You passed with flying colors. 

Just as aside, I spent  years active and later mod on a  motorcycle site called Intruder Alert. Strange and catchy name but was based on the start up of people like myself who rode the Suzuki Intruder line of motorcycles. Grew into a huge and active club where things were often a lot hotter than in here for sure. Slowly the lack of updating by Suzuki and just the urge to ride something different had us drifting from Suzuki's to Harley's, Victory's (like mine), Honda's, and other brands. One day the site wouldn't come up and when I emailed the head guru he just said, "It's time." That site was referred to by us for years as IA and is still missed by many of us. There is an IA Facebook carryover but it's  just not the same as a bulletin board.

#36 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Just finished this one up today, pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20180503_131346.jpg
  • PSX_20180503_131325.jpg

#37 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

Sweet!  Looks blue, maybe turquoise ... love the color.

Barbed hooks rule!

#38 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Yea kind of a turquoise with blue on the lamination line there's a layer of brown as well and more turquoise next to the blade. This skate board is becoming one of my favorite handle materials. I'm going to do another one similar blade with the same handle material soon if the lady who's next on the list to get one doesn't want it it will likely end up for sale here.

#39 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Vicrider,

Hear ya. My brother-in-law used to own a McDonalds. If your bill was for example $3.11 and you handed over $5.11 the cashiers were instructed to hand the 11 cents back before ringing it up. Why you may ask? As mentioned the dumb look of what do I do now. The other reason, because of the dumb looks the quick change artist would have a field day.

If someone was spotted not handing back the 11 cents before ringing up they no longer had a job. And that always showed up on the register at the end of the day.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#40 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

Vicrider,

Hear ya. My brother-in-law used to own a McDonalds. If your bill was for example $3.11 and you handed over $5.11 the cashiers were instructed to hand the 11 cents back before ringing it up. Why you may ask? As mentioned the dumb look of what do I do now. The other reason, because of the dumb looks the quick change artist would have a field day.

If someone was spotted not handing back the 11 cents before ringing up they no longer had a job. And that always showed up on the register at the end of the day.

Since the computer does the work for you before ringing up I suspect this had more to do with management wanting to deal with less change and complicated numbers.

#41 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

@vic
Intruder 750 here, back in the '90s. Also had a black '66 tbird at the time...
cb27

#42 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

I think mikemchell will like this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20180619_203523.jpg
  • PSX_20180619_203449.jpg

#43 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

Vicrider,

That's actually illegal.  A business CANNOT refuse to accept coins from you.  It is legal tender, and they are required to make the correct change for any denomination or amount given.  

Even the refusal to accept bills over a certain amount (Like businesses that refuse $100.00 bills) is an illegal practice.

You thinked correctly, sir.  I love that one.  Micarta handle?  Or dyed bone?

Barbed hooks rule!

#44 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Mike,

If you gave a cashier 5.11 for a bill that is 3.11 they have every right to push the 11 cents back to you.

Your 5 covers the cost of what you purchased. Now, if you hand over the 3.11 in change, you have made the attempt.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#45 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

You thinked correctly, sir.  I love that one.  Micarta handle?  Or dyed bone?[/quote]

dyed stabilized wood, it was a pen blank i purchased online.

Reply to this topic